Antenna Upgrade for BCT15X

Status
Not open for further replies.

wfrancis16

Does anyone have a recommendation for an upgrade for the antenna that comes with the BCT15X? The majority of what I listen to is in the UHF band so on that is tuned for that would be good. I am not looking to install an antenna on my roof so it has to be a back of set type antenna.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As far as I know, there are very few offerings in "back of set" antennas. Most of the time when folks do antenna upgrades, they do some form of rooftop antenna.

Usually there is ample room in attics to install antennas. The challenge is finding a way to route the cable to the scanner, but is not an insurmountable one. I use two Antennacrast ST4 wide band antennas in my garage.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Back of set antennas are always marginal compromises.... unless you are on the balcony of a building five or more stories above your listening area. If that's not the case and you are inside a building not near a window, a back of set antenna is well.... fuggedaboutit. You're not going to move the needle much attempting to get a "better" back of set antenna. However... is there a window near your scanner? Can you snake a a TV coax cable up to a 2nd floor window? Or even better, an attic or crawlspace? That will open up some possibilities. Since you said your interest is mainly UHF, can you put one of these in a window?
Solid Signal HD-BLADE Indoor Digital Flat Indoor TV Antenna (HDBLADE) from Solid Signal

Walmart has them as well... they call them HD "leaf" antennas. Will be a major improvement of a back of set antenna.... and no need to install outdoors if you don't want to.

dodgelover93

antenna help

is it better to have a antenna on the roof of house with the uniden bct15x radio ...what antenna is best i listen to everything on my scanner... what antenna is best for all bands and please link me wear to buy a good all band antenna thanks...im wind windsor ontario but trying to get stations in america....

wbswetnam

I agree with others that it is best to have either an outside antenna or an attic antenna. But, if you absolutely cannot do either of those,I have used a roll-up J-pole antenna hidden behind the window curtain with good indoor results. Here are step-by-step instructions on how to make one: https://youtu.be/ql6zWMZ1dEU

I have made at least six of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.