Antenna Upgrade For Uniden BCT125AT

Status
Not open for further replies.

irescueu911

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys. I'm a firefighter/ EMT. When at home, I like to scan neighboring fire departments for which my department may provide mutual aid. During threatening weather conditions, I like to listen to the informative Skywarn weather spotters on our local ham frequencies. I also listen to the local highway department for road conditions. These transmissions occur in the 147 to 160mhz range. I wont be listening to 800mhz. As a renter, I will not be using an outdoor antenna. I have to stick with my portable with a high performance antenna. I don't care how expensive the antenna is or how large it is. For the most part, the scanner will sit in my house.

I listen to Air transmissions as well for some reason, even though I have no idea what they're talking about..lol. I might try monitoring at an an air show this summer.

For road trips, I wouldn't mind being able to listen to CB radio. Its nice to hear why traffic is backed up when it is.

These seem to cover it all:
W-881 Super Gainer BNC Portable Antenna
W-889 Tele Gainer BNC Portable Antenna
Amazon.com: ANLI RD-88H Hi Performance DualBand Amateur RadioandScanner Antenna - BNC: Electronics
Diamond® Antenna ~ RH77CA HT/Scanner Antenna

Is there a benefit or disadvantage to a telescoping antenna like the 889? When the scanner is sitting on my truck seat, I could see it being nice having it on a swivel so that the antenna can be in an upright position. Maybe there's a swivel adapter for the other fixed length antenna's?

I'd really appreciate any recommendations from the much more experienced. Thanks much!

mark40

Premium Subscriber
I primarily use the Diamond RH77CA on my BCT125AT.

Very satisfied with the RH77CA compared to the stock ant; most everything in my area is VHF bet 154-159 MHz. so I can't vouch for the UHF performance.

No experience with the others on your short list

dmg1969

I would second the Diamond. Much of what I listen to is low band, but the VHF high band and UHF reception is very good with that antenna.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

irescueu911

Premium Subscriber
Well, I bought the Diamond Antenna. I am now listening to the neighboring FD's I couldn't hear before. Big difference from the stock Rubber Ducky. I'm using it in my living room in an all brick house surrounded by trees and at a lower elevation in my city.

I must mention that I bought it at the Antenna Farm. Less cost than anywhere else and only charged me $2.50 for postage when everyone else wanted $9. http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/ Shipping was very fast even though they coul've blamed the holidays. I honestly wouldnt have minded getting it later.

So there's my un professional review! If you're a newby like me, spend the $20 bucks for the antenna... from the antenna farm.

dmg1969

Glad you had good luck with it. I have seen people post bad reviews of The Antenna Farm, but I had no problem when I ordered from him and would not hesitate to do so again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.