Antenna Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmindler

Hello All,
I’m looking to upgrade my antenna on my 785D for better aircraft reception. Maybe something that sits on the window.
Thanks in advance.

WA8ZTZ

What are you currently using for an antenna ? Do you live in an apartment or a home? HOA restrictions ?
Generally speaking, the higher you can get the antenna the better.

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
I live on a third floor apartment building. Wasn't having much luck listening to the local ATIS and tower frequencies from a local airport. I do have access to an attic and that's where I placed the antenna...https://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/aviation-airband-118-128-mhz-j-pole-antenna/

It works exceedingly well.

Attachments

• Aviation-Band-J-Pole-airport-600x906.jpg
    Aviation-Band-J-Pole-airport-600x906.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 57

WA8ZTZ

Attic antenna is probably the way to go (provided you don't have a metal roof).
A discone would probably be small enough to fit in most any attic and would receive not
only air band but the other frequencies covered by your scanner as well.
Got a simple ground plane antenna in my attic and it works well on the air band.
With an attic antenna you may be able to hear aircraft a hundred miles or more out up in the flight levels (line of sight) but
unless you live very close to an airport, do not expect to hear the ground side of the conversation.
If you do decide to go with an attic antenna just be careful... could be hotter than hell up there given your
location in SC, and watch your step...

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Build a simple ground plane antenna, there are plenty of plans online. Using 124 MHz as the frequency, the elements would be 22.6 inches, but given the typical bandwidth of a ground plane antenna, you could shorten them a little bit. The whole thing would be around three feet tall, which should fit in most attics. (Having a metal roof, foil lined insulation, or other shielding, will reduce effectiveness of the antenna.)

There are ways to hide these antennas outside, if the antenna being close to the ground is acceptable.

_sundown_

I live on a third floor apartment building. Wasn't having much luck listening to the local ATIS and tower frequencies from a local airport. I do have access to an attic and that's where I placed the antenna...https://www.jpole-antenna.com/shop/aviation-airband-118-128-mhz-j-pole-antenna/

It works exceedingly well.

Is there an ATIS frequency? I've googled the heck out it and can't find an answer. I can't seem to find it on RR database either?

gcopter1

Premium Subscriber
Is there an ATIS frequency? I've googled the heck out it and can't find an answer. I can't seem to find it on RR database either?
Did you search RR for the airport in question?
If by chance it isn't there, Google the name of your airport. If the airport is a non-controlled/tower, it won't have an ATIS.

nd5y

Look up the airport here
or here
Both have current frequency lists (from the FAA) for each airport.
Since RadioReference is croud sourced there may not be current frequencies for all airports.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
VHF Air Blade Indoor Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.