SDS100/SDS200: Antenna Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

CopperWhopper67

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I am looking to get an upgraded antenna for my SDS100 and am looking for some input and advice on which models would be good and where to buy them. I want an antenna that better covers VHF and UHF. Also, I would like an additional antenna good for covering Low Band VHF, while still keeping the device as mobile as possible.

Any tips would be helpful, thanks!

Hit_Factor

Don't expect a lot from changing one 6" rubber duck antenna to another 6". Sounds like any of the dual band amateur radio antennas would fit the bill like the diamond SRH77CA (I machined the base on my lathe to fit snug). You just have to figure out if the water resistant feature of the current antenna is important to you.

Have you had a chance to read these posts? Search results for query: antenna

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I 100% concur with the SRH77CA suggestion. I Dremmeled mine. Take it slow - grind a bit, then check the fit. Remember, it doesn't take much - and you can't add metal back....

I also used metal black afterwards to make it look better

Attachments

• 20200603_091310.jpg
    20200603_091310.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 33

dazza0768

I use the RH77CA which is the BNC version with the adapter. Works great!
Another good purchase was a Comet SMA-3 antenna, its tri-band and covers the good areas of the spectrum, not as good as the 77CA but its smaller, agile and fits perfectly in the SDS100. I have trialed both of these antennas next to the stock one and they all have different areas where they work best and others dont so in the end there is really not one antenna that wins overall. But if you dont mind long antennas the 77ca is excellent. Amazon and Ebay have them BUT BE CAREFUL OF COUNTERFEIT FAKES!!!!!!! Buy from reputable dealers.

Reconrider

I use the RH77CA which is the BNC version with the adapter. Works great!
Another good purchase was a Comet SMA-3 antenna, its tri-band and covers the good areas of the spectrum, not as good as the 77CA but its smaller, agile and fits perfectly in the SDS100. I have trialed both of these antennas next to the stock one and they all have different areas where they work best and others dont so in the end there is really not one antenna that wins overall. But if you dont mind long antennas the 77ca is excellent. Amazon and Ebay have them BUT BE CAREFUL OF COUNTERFEIT FAKES!!!!!!! Buy from reputable dealers.
Who are the legit ones to buy from? (the 77ca)

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Don't expect a lot from changing one 6" rubber duck antenna to another 6". Sounds like any of the dual band amateur radio antennas would fit the bill like the diamond SRH77CA (I machined the base on my lathe to fit snug). You just have to figure out if the water resistant feature of the current antenna is important to you.

Have you had a chance to read these posts? Search results for query: antenna
Just remember that while the SRH77CA antenna has an SMA mount, it is not going to seat properly on the SDS100 (unless machined to a smaller size as Hit Factor mentioned). The antenna connector on the scanner is recessed into the case, to maintain the water resistance of the scanner. You can use the SMA to BNC adapter that came with the scanner, then you have a wide selection of BNC antennas.

You're not going to find a 'great' antenna for your handheld that performs on low band. That would require a longer antenna than is practical. I would also suggest looking at the RH789, That is a telescoping antenna, with markings on the antenna itself to suggest how far out to extend for a particular frequency band. It's available from HRO, Universal Radio, The Antenna Farm, and Amazon, among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.