antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

windchaser

need some advice, just pu a yaesu ft-60r and was wondering if there are any aftermaket antennas that are better then the one it came with? thanks windchaser usmm ret

windchaser

whats this know body knows anything abt a better antenna for the yeasu ft-60r in this forum?

N1BHH

windchaser said:
whats this know body knows anything abt a better antenna for the yeasu ft-60r in this forum?
You want an instant answer? Take your time, nobody will answer you if they aren't here 24 hours a day. Besides you can do yourself a favor by researching on your own all the online sources of amateur radio gear. Where did you buy the radio? That is a good place to start. It's a whole bunch easier if you do it that way. The internet has so much to offer.

I use several with my SMA equipped radios: SMA24, RD98.

windchaser

i posted on RR because i i want to get an answer from those who use radios more then some kid behind a counter trying to make a sale. you people know what i am asking most others don't.

andrewccm

Premium Subscriber
What frequencies are you wanting to monitor most?

I have a RS800 and RD98 that both work well (albeit at different frequencies).

Not using that particular scanner though.

windchaser

andrew i only have a tec license so i can only use 2 and 70 meters. thanks for asking. windchaser usmm ret

SAR923

A smaller version of the RH77CA is the RH707, which does good job on the ham bands. If you want to also monitor broadband, the 77CA is the way to go.

rankin39

Check the offerings from Comet/Maldol and Diamond antennas. They make any number of after-market dual-band HT antennas. The best would be one that is a half-wave or 5/8 wavelength long on 2 meters and stacked 5/8 wave elements on 440, but this would be 3 feet long or so. So you probably want something shorter. There are several that are a quarter-wave on 2 and 5/8 wave on 440; these are anywhere from about a foot to 19 in. long and will still stick you in the armpit if you wear your HT on your belt. Most hams just go with a dual band antenna that is partly or fully wound into a coil and covered with rubber. They average about 7 inches but some are shorter. The stock antenna is of this sort. The more of the radiating element that is wound into a coil, the less effective the antenna but the easier it is to carry: the more it's stretched out, the better the antenna but the less convenient it will be on your belt.
Bob, WoNXN

Status
Not open for further replies.