Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

jblake76

Premium Subscriber
Hey fellow New Jerseyans, I am looking for a good mobile antenna to monitor the NJSP system. Any and all help will be appreciated. I am using a pro 106 right now with the radio shack 800mhz rubber duckie.

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Regardless of the antenna you choose you may be disappointed in reception in some areas. Coverage is spotty and although I'm between the Holmdel and Toms River towers it leaves much to be desired here. It's a bit of a mystery why this is so despite much discussion, I actually hear the NJT tower in Newark better.

mrkelso

I hear the Turnpike,Parkway,80 and 287 Troops pretty good. A little pickit fencing here and there but otherwise not bad.

Last edited:

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I use this one Austin Spectra Mobile Antenna I have 4 of them and they all work just fine for the state PD

I don't know how one can even copy the NJSP system with that antenna. I had lousy results with mine even with a pre-amp. Maybe I got a bad one but mine didn't perform well at all anywhere.

I have found the best setup for me is to use a dedicated single band antenna for 800. I've tried many including the Austin the Larson tri-bander, a Motorola 3db 850MHz antenna and a few others. My best results on 800 were with the Moto 850 antenna with a stridesburg active multicoupler(I have 2 800 rigs one antenna). This works as good as it will probably get and I still encounter dead spots. The Larson tri-bander would be my next choise especially if you need UHF/VHF.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Simple solution

I hooked my scanner to my cars am/fm radio antenna i travel all over central and northern jersey and i hear NJSP as well as all the other Freqs.(VHF/UHF) I monitor and its reception is clear...( now go ahead start busting my chops)

Status
Not open for further replies.