Antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pberg3571

Bought a BCD396XT, and live in a brick apartment building. Is there an antenna I can purchase to boost my reception, with still being able to recieve everything?

radioskip1

Antenna's are your worst nightmare for multi-band scanning especially if you are restricted to an indoor apartment space. Checkout the relies in Forums>Canada Radio Discussion Forums>Eastern Canada Radio Discussion>BCD396T Antenna Upgrade. You might see something there. And yes I've never found the rubber ducks to work very well on, VHF-Hi, my primary listening band. Good Luck!

bkantor

When I lived in an apartment building, I was able to stick a mag mount scanner antenna on the outside air conditioner sleeve. I did see a marked improvement in reception, but of course the improvement was not consistent across all bands.

Muskratt

pberg3571, I've always used indoor antennas for scanning. I've tried many duck, whip, and mobile antennas. I've had the best luck with the radio shack 800mhz antenna, but you lose out on 150/460 mhz. 2m half wave whip antennas are the best on 2m and do a decent job with 460mhz as well, and good on local 800mhz, but not so good on distant 800mhz signals. I've had no luck with mobile antennas since I could never get a decent ground plane.

Recently, though, I tried a log periodic beam antenna. I purchased the antenna for a different purpose, but it has now become my main scanner antenna. You can read my post here:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ge...monitoring-multiple-scanners.html#post1286969

I am near one corner of the building here and I have the antenna pointed towards the direction where my reception was weakest with my other antennas...towards the opposite corner of the building.

Muskratt

Status
Not open for further replies.