antenna?

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbmc

I live outside of Pittsburgh PA and wondered if a different antenna other than the one that came with my Uniden BCD396XT would pick up more than what I have found???
thanks Barb

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Very likely, but we need a great deal more information here. Are you using the 396 as a handheld, in a car, as a base radio? In what freq range(s) are you interested? If you are using it as a base radio, can you put something outside?

Duckies (as they are often called) that come with scanners are very much a compromise - usually a poor one on most frequencies. A better antenna, height and proper feeding will bring in lots more...best regards..Mike

barbmc

Mike
Thanks...I use it at home and while at work. I wouldnt want to add anything outside, and added antenna would be great. I'm wondering if the building I'm in is a bit of a problem (more like a bunker)
Any suggestions as to a brand/make?
Barb

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You really would be better with something outdoors to get away from the shielding effects of your building - if it's got a lot of steel and concrete and/or you're in an interior area and first floor, you've got your work cut out for you.

You didn't say in which freq ranges you're interested, but as a general rule, it's time for a little homework. Try to find out where the signals you're interested in are strongest. Walk around using the scanner with no antenna - you'll find that you likely have more than one spot.

A small mag mount antenna on a large metallic surface (and it's better if it's ferrous - so the magnet actually sticks to it) is going to work a whole lot better than the little duckie. As an example, Larsen has a VHF/UHF/800 scanner antenna that some ham shops sell - you need to supply the mount.

What freq range(s) are you interested in? best regards..Mike

barbmc

thanks
will look into it :)
I have bunch of 400's programmed into the scanner, no problem picking them up. It's the 800's that I hear occasionally but not often. I will look into a better antenna.
thanks again

barbmc

Mike
I looked at some of the posts and a few mention a diamond rubber duck which sounds like what I would like for home to listen to those frequencies that I spoke about.. Any idea of which company to get one??
thanks in advance
Barb

Rt169Radio

Premium Subscriber
Mike
I looked at some of the posts and a few mention a diamond rubber duck which sounds like what I would like for home to listen to those frequencies that I spoke about.. Any idea of which company to get one??
thanks in advance
Barb

What kind of Diamond rubber duck is it? The Diamond RH77CA or the Diamond SRH77CA? You can get either from Universal Radio.

Diamond RH77CA Amateur HT Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.