antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragon3158

i use the radioshack pro 164 in MA an i wanna hear stuff further away. i was thinking of getting a bigger antenna. i was thinking Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna...

russellmaher

KC1ANC
More info?

i use the radioshack pro 164 in MA an i wanna hear stuff further away. i was thinking of getting a bigger antenna. i was thinking Outdoor VHF-Hi/UHF Scanner Antenna...

If you're using the "rubber duckie" antenna on top of the 164, you will surely increase your reception range by stepping up to an external antenna, but some additional info is needed.

Will the new antenna be used at home or in your vehicle?

Home: on the roof or on a tower, or inside in your shack or attic?

Vehicle: drill through vehicle body or magnet mount, or trunk lip mount?

There are hundreds of styles of antennas and different ways to mount them, so please give us more info as to what you're looking to do. Thanks,

Russell

dragon3158

well right now im useing a Magnet-mount mobile scanner antenna i have it sitting on the floor of my balcony. i dont have a car so id be using this antenna for home use i have a hand held scanner also radioshack with a flex 800-mhgz antenna on it

russellmaher

KC1ANC
1. How do you get a magnet mount antenna to stay upright on your balcony floor? Is the floor made of steel?

2. The suggestion that you put the magnet mount on a metal tray (a steel cookie baking tray, for instance) is right on, and this will provide the antenna with the ground plane that it needs to perform.

3. A magnet mount mobile antenna is designed to withstand the elements since it's going to be outside in all types of weather, so don't worry about a few inches of snow affecting it.

Russell

dragon3158

1. i not sure why or how the antenna stayed standing up. it just..did
2. i agree. the metal or sheel object is a good idea an right now i am using a metal step painters latter so far so good.
3. ok. cool..just wanted to make sure. i dont realy have money to be replacing things like that right now lol. your in ct. hows the state money there? u guys suffering just us hear in ma.?

Hullonian

Six cookie sheets in my attic spaced about 4' apart. Each antenna connected to a different scanner with RG58 down through walls to BNC connectors on plates at the baseboards. All work great. Usually about 30 mile range because of my location. (Wife wants to know what keeps happening to her cookie sheets)

dragon3158

lol wow..hullinian. im in weymouth. you must listen the boats alot huh..what kinda antenna an scanners you got?

Hullonian

Antennas

Just a few of the important marine channels (Harbormasters, Harbor pilots, Coast guard, etc). The other radios are for the usual public safety stuff (Police, fire, EMT). Local town DPW and Utility companies also. Mostly all Uniden/Bearcat of one sort or vintage. Actually one crystal controlled Regency, and one very old RatShack.

dragon3158

im in south weymouth i can hear harbor masters or any marine unless im right there in hull near the water an even the i dont get much traffic..do u just use the magnett mount antenna's?

RKG

is there a way to connect one anntenna to two scanners at the same time?

Yes and no.

Yes: The two receivers have to be isolated from one another. You do this by connecting each receiver to one port of a device known as a "multicoupler" (being sure to terminate any unused ports on the multicoupler with 50 ohm termination resistors) and the antenna to the "output" or "common" port on the multicoupler. Multicouplers come in both active and passive designs, but the insertion loss for the passive ones will be large. Active multicouplers try to offset the insertion loss by adding pre-amps to each output port, but then you get pre-amp noise.

No: multicouplers are expensive.

I once evaluated a consumer-grade multicoupler for someone and found it inconsistent. I've just installed a number of logger recorders made by this guy, who also sells a reasonably priced multicoupler. I've never tested it, but, as I say, his other product is quite good.

Wideband RF Multicoupler - 16 Radios, Surge Protected, 50 Ohm

ScannaMan9

Solution!

ok well im only looking to hook one anntenna to 2 scanners..is it somthing i can get at radioshack?

No.....

But, at scannermaster connect this:
https://www.scannermaster.com/BNC_Female_to_BNC_Female_Connector_p/35-531666.htm

To the BNC antenna adapter, then put this:
https://www.scannermaster.com/BNC_Male_to_BNC_Female_T_Connector_p/15-541356.htm

On that, and finally get two of these:
https://www.scannermaster.com/RG58_Jumper_Cable_3_BNC_Male_to_BNC_Male_p/35-551255.htm

And connect them to your scanners!

Status
Not open for further replies.