Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotman17

I am new and have a Uniden BC355N. Wanting a new antenna due to living on the outskirts of Phoenix. Looking at a Tram 1410 Broad Band Discone/Scanner Base Antenna. Also read that this one is good. RTL-SDR Blog R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA Software Defined Radio with 2x Telescopic Antennas

Any advice would help. Looking just to scan the police and fire rescue frequencies.

[FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]Any advice would help. Looking just to scan the police and fire rescue frequencies. [/FONT]

DJ11DLN

Welcome to Radio Reference! The Arizona section would probably be a better place to ask this question. You can click the little "report" in the lower left corner and ask for a moderator to move it there.

While it's hard to go wrong with a discone, a band-specific antenna will always outperform it. The database will tell you what band (s) those agencies are on, and whether or not they are encrypted, which is a deal-breaker. The 355 is a good but basic scanner that can't trunk-track or decode any digital modes so you need to gather some more info before you get your wallet back out. Good luck!

KB7MIB

You will need a more capable scanner than the BC355N. That particular scanner will basically limit you to DPS (analog conventional UHF repeaters) and some fire department communications on the fire ground, if you're within a few miles of a fire (analog conventional VHF-Hi, mostly simplex).

Where exactly on the outskirts of Phoenix do you live?

All of the municipal police departments are on one of two 700 MHz P25 Phase I simulcast trunked systems (that will probably be switching to P25 Phase II within the next few years), either the Regional Wireless Cooperative, or the TOPAZ Regional Wireless Cooperative.

The Phoenix FD Regional Dispatch Center and the Mesa FD Regional Dispatch Center are also on the RWC and TOPAZ RWC systems, respectively, for EMS and other non-fire and non-hazmat calls. Rural/Metro FD is analog conventional VHF-Hi, as are the Circle City-Morristown, Wickenburg, Aguila, Tonto Foothills, and Gila Bend FD's.

Note: both Buckeye and Goodyear PD are fully encrypted. If you live in either city, you will not be able to listen to those two PD's. All of the other PD's have varying levels of encryption. For the most part, regular patrol operations are not encrypted, but anything involving detectives, SWAT, and "hot calls" are encrypted. All 3 Indian Community PD's, (Ft. McDowell, Salt River, Gila River), are also fully encrypted, but the FD's are monitorable.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office and other county agencies are on an 800 MHz mixed analog/digital trunked system, but they are working on building out and testing a 700 MHz P25 (most likely Phase II) simulcast trunked system that should go live within the next year or two.

There is some unencrypted DPS activity, as well as ADOT and other agencies on the AZWIN 700 MHz P25 Phase I trunked system. Several agencies on that system are encrypted, however, especially in Yuma and La Paz counties.

Luke AFB and the Gila Bend Auxiliary Air Field associated with it has a 380 MHz P25 Phase I trunked system. The Security Forces are encrypted, and the FD (with a few exceptions) and most everything else is in the clear.

You're looking at an expensive upgrade to be able to listen to almost any agency you can think of, unfortunately. You're going to want a scanner capable of P25 Phase II digital reception. They all have a learning curve to understand how to most effectively utilize them, and are most easily programmed via a computer, rather than by hand. Reading and understanding the user manual is imperative. It may sound daunting, but it's not impossible!

I myself use a several decades old Radio Shack PRO-2020 base scanner, mostly for Phoenix FD's analog VHF-Hi channels, but a few other channels as well. I also have another several decades old scanner, a Radio Shack PRO-43 handheld that I mostly use on road trips. My "newest" scanner, is an at least 12 year old GRE PSR-500 handheld, which is P25 digital capable, but not Phase II. And it is a rather poor performer in simulcast enviroments such as the Phoenix Valley, unfortunately.

John
Peoria

Dotman17

Lots to know. I am in the Tartesso community in Buckeye. It is about 3 miles north of I10 on Sun Valley Parkway

KB7MIB

I know where that's at.

As I said, Buckeye PD is fully encrypted, so you're out of luck with them.

Buckeye FD and Buckeye Valley FD are both dispatched by the Phoenix FD Regional Dispatch Center, as are the Harquahala Valley, Tonopah, Goodyear and Avondale FD's, so right now with what the BC-355N, you can program in:
154.190 A-1 Dispatch
155.670 A-9 Southwest Fireground
154.430 A-13 Far Southwest Fireground

Channels 9 & 13 are the most likely to be used for any fire or hazmat call in your area, and maybe even some medical calls. If the incident scene is more than a couple miles away, you may only hear the alarm room dispatcher on ch 1 and the alarm room tactical radio operator on ch's 9 &13.

460.300 DPS Metro West
460.150 DPS Metro West Tac

Metro West covers I-10 west of the 101 to the La Paz County line where it meets District 4, the 101 from I-10 up to I-17, the 303 from I-10 up to I-17, portions of Grand Ave/US 60 from about the Phoenix-Glendale border up into and I believe past Wickenburg, Carefree Highway/AZ 74 from Grand Ave/US 60 to I-17, AZ 85 from I-10 down to Gila Bend where it meets District 4.

460.400 DPS District 4 Yuma & La Paz County (I'm not sure how much you may hear on this channel.)

460.225 DPS Statewide and State Tac
460.500 DPS CI ("Tac" units are SWAT-trained troopers, "Zebra" units are the GIITEM troopers. Other callsigns will typically be detectives. This is used Valleywide. Most activity will be in the East and Southeast Valley, or so it seems to me.)

460.325 DPS Metro Central
460.200 DPS Metro East
460.175 DPS Metro East Tac
460.275 DPS Metro South

This rounds out the active DPS channels in the Phoenix metro area.

That should get you started at least.

John
Peoria

KB7MIB

Addendum:

The Phoenix FD Regional Dispatch Center dispatches for:
Phoenix (includes Paradise Valley and Laveen)
Glendale
Peoria
Sun City
El Mirage
Surprise
North County (Sun City West and Wittmann)
Tolleson
Avondale
Goodyear
Buckeye
Buckeye Valley
Tonopah
Harquahala Valley
Daisy Mtn (New River, Anthem, Desert Hills, Black Canyon City)
Scottsdale
Tempe
Guadalupe
Chandler
Sun Lakes
Maricopa

This is an automatic aid system. The closest unit goes on the call, regardless of jurisdictional boundaries. There is also no way to limit the dispatches to only the stations closest to you. You have to listen to them all, and learn to pick out the stations closest to you.

Here's a website of interest. The Phoenix FD's online CAD page. It lists some of the calls that units are on. If your neighbor down the street is having a heart attack, you won't see the call here for privacy reasons. If there's an accident on the corner, or a house fire 2 blocks over, it'll be on here. Also, if you click the link on the page, it'll give you a list of the apparatus numbering by city for Maricopa and Pinal Counties. Buckeye is 701-706 currently. Buckeye Valley is 321-329.

Phoenix Fire Department Incidents

John
Peoria

Status
Not open for further replies.