Antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Maybe...

BE a bit more specific. Base antenna, mobile, or rubber duckie type?

And your application? If you want to hear only 800 mhz, then a 800 mhz is a good idea...but if you aren't far from other transmitters, it will hear those too. And of course the opposite is true.

If you ONLY want to hear 800,then a filter of some kind is in order.

timmer

I think you are referring to the 800 duck antenna sold by RS. It works fairly well, but if you really want a GOOD 800 antenna, get the one made by Antennex sold at Scanner master. (www.scannermaster.com). It is the best I know of.

VintageJon

I find my home-brew 1/4 wave ground plane, hung-from-ceiling, is more effective than the "800 MHz duck". This is no surprise yet the 800 MHz duck is better than stock for 866MHz APCO 25 than the stock antenna provided.
I believe the stock antenna is bettter than either for VHF though.

Your antenna depends on your main listening band. Here I go with different antennas for differenent bands on the Pro-96...

73's,
Jon

AVL

depending on your listening bands do you have mostly 800 mhz freqs on your scanner or a mixture of all ranges from 20 to 800 mhz if so then a 800 mhz attennas will help with just those 800 freqs youll be able to recive lower freqs but not as good as the stock ducky attenna on my rig i have both 800 mhz and the stock attenna mounted on my roof it works well

The RS ANT does improve reception on 800Mhz and is considerably better than the
stock antenna for UHF (460Mhz)!
Works OK for VHF-HI, I agree that the stock ANT is better on VHF.

Status
Not open for further replies.