• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

AntennaCraft Scantenna Is UP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

302HO

I just installed my scantenna earlier. I put it up in my attic. Its about 35 foot from the ground. I thought my Icom R20 "heard" alot. When i hooked the scantenna up to it......mannnnnn! I can really hear crap now!

I sat up in the attic after i mounted the antenna and had my icom up there with me. Hooked up the antenna and just listened to different things. I could pick up a fire department thats about 60 to 70 miles away! That really suprised me. I can now hear Bluegrass Airport. Its about 40 miles away.

I guess i was up there about 30 to 45 minutes just listening. Several signals where so strong i had to lower my gain. Then i noticed i was soaking wet cause it was hot up there and it was time to get down.

I still have to pull the coax down the inside of a wall and terminate into a wall plate.

Anyhow, the scantenna was worth $37.

hsdtech

Good deal. Yeah I was very happy after putting mine up after using the R.S. discone. BUT, if I was up in my attic for that long, that would be the last time I would hear any scanner traffic (S.LA).

red8

hsdtech

hsdtech said:
Good deal. Yeah I was very happy after putting mine up after using the R.S. discone. BUT, if I was up in my attic for that long, that would be the last time I would hear any scanner traffic (S.LA).
It does get a little hot up in them attics in South Louisiana, been there and done that back in my younger days

302HO

tneff said:
302HO , what are the primary feq's you listen to. Thanks

My primary interest is the airbands. I am a newby. I have had my radio about a month now. As i get more frequencies, i listen to more.

That station that i heard that was 60-70 miles away was a fire department. It was just over half way on my signal strength meter on my icom. I was impressed. Needless to say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.