AntennaCraft ST2

Status
Not open for further replies.

15plus1

I bought mine from Grove on closeout.. Glad I did..I got it due to all the good reviews. Didn't really need it then ( shock), but I suspected it was not gonna be available much longer..Now I just gotta take it out of the box and install it !!

trp2525

I think if enough of us show interest perhaps we could persuade them to make it...The demand is huge for these

I personally contacted marketing/product development at Winegard regarding bringing back their SM-2200 scanner antenna. I also contacted marketing/product development at Channel Master regarding bringing back their 5094A Monitenna scanner antenna. Both of those antennas were considered excellent all-band scanner antennas at a reasonable price point.

I fully explained in my communication with both companies that the ST2 Scantenna was no longer available because of the closure of Antennacraft. I also expressed my opinion that I felt there was a market for a well-performing all-band scanner antenna at a reasonable price point for the average hobbyist. In their responses to me neither Winegard nor Channel Master expressed any interest in manufacturing/selling any scanner antennas at this time.

stingray327

I bought mine from Grove on closeout.. Glad I did..I got it due to all the good reviews. Didn't really need it then ( shock), but I suspected it was not gonna be available much longer..Now I just gotta take it out of the box and install it !!

Just note these antennas do not hold up to wind that well so it is best you reinforce the actual antenna.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
They are one of the best multiband scanner antennas ever made, and have been discontinued. eBay auctions for them have been closing in the vicinity of $300.

They are 'so yesterday'! LOL! Do you really think they are still one of the best? They don't hold up to Michigan weather very long.

As the old saying goes...'A fool and his money are soon parted!' :roll:

trp2525

FYI if anyone still has their heart set on an Antennacraft ST2 scanner antenna, there are some currently available on eBay but be forewarned that they are pricey:

1. Used ("missing the C bracket") with a current bid of $10 (reserve not met) or Buy It Now for $125 (plus $25 shipping): https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antennacraft-Scantenna/142667503294

2. Brand-New (does not include any coax) with a Buy It Now price of $299.99 (plus $27.99 shipping): https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Radio-...ectional-20-042-Antennacraft-ST2/253338087960

3. Brand-New (but with no matching transformer) with a Buy It Now price of $299.95 (plus $9.95 shipping): https://www.ebay.com/itm/BNIB-Antennacraft-ST2-Scanner-Radio-Antenna/372184935675

bep

Premium Subscriber
At one time I thought that the ST2 was the bomb. Well weather, hurricanes took its toll and it fell to pieces. I then found, by recommendation here, the OmniX scanner antenna. I am hearing more than I ever did with the ST2. Just a thought that you may wish to check it out.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I believe he was asking about the omni-x. I am well aware dpd does not carry or ever have carried a antennacraft product.

My apologies. The thread is a little confusing as it was originally discussing the AntennaCraft ST2 then it was derailed.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Yes they were, mule1075 pointed that out.

I did try the DPD OmniX'MilTenna Omni UHF/VHF Base Antenna'
d1ANhPhatPZzRKmXxr8jNsd68SlaqzG6Q2OoJW1gHgj3OEq6NROplTVAepjQ4GqgNuQjNXR6P0e5w91gFHAOuAmwBXvwB1qgMAAAC0BaoDAADgPKA6AAAAzgOqAwAA4DygOgAAAM4DqgMAAOA8oDoAAADOA6oDAADgPP4PGa2IQYjCZOIAAAAASUVORK5CYIIA

DPD Productions - Military Base & Mobile Antennas: VHF, UHF, Air, Ground, Voice, Data

Although I never mounted it as high as I wanted to, but I was very satisfied with it's performance.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I saw that after I posted it. I think I had started the email earlier and got sidetracked and finished it later, then saw the other posts...

Anyway, I am stuck currently with attic mount antennas and wonder if anyone has tried it in an attic or not. At $150 they are kind of pricey but I have had good results from other DPD antennas such as my ADSB vertical that I have had up for 10-15 years in 2 different attics.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Anyway, I am stuck currently with attic mount antennas and wonder if anyone has tried it in an attic or not. At $150 they are kind of pricey but I have had good results from other DPD antennas such as my ADSB vertical that I have had up for 10-15 years in 2 different attics.

Truthfully when I had the OmniX, it was hanging on my 1st floor office wall in my home! :D

questnz

1+ for Omni-X, great antenna. I replaced old and battered D130 with Omni, NO regrets
Owner (Dave) very helpful with initial inquiries and prompt shipping overseas to my location.

Attachments

• IMG_9663.jpg
    IMG_9663.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 407

stingray327

N9JIG

Sheriff
This Omni X antenna is expensive. I'll stick with the two ST-2 antennas I have that are still in the box. I have two on the roof currently until the wind destroys them.

I have 4 ST-2's in my attic now and they work great. I have had them for 20 years or more but always in the attic so they are still in great shape. If we end up with the new house a couple of them might make it on the roof or tower and I will keep a couple in reserve. While it never snows here we do get the occasional windstorm. The biggest problem I think is going to be the plastic pieces getting brittle and breaking due to the intense heat, sunshine and dryness of the Arizona desert. With no repair parts available I would have to scrounge the others to repair or replace the ones mounted after a few years.

stingray327

I have 4 ST-2's in my attic now and they work great. I have had them for 20 years or more but always in the attic so they are still in great shape. If we end up with the new house a couple of them might make it on the roof or tower and I will keep a couple in reserve. While it never snows here we do get the occasional windstorm. The biggest problem I think is going to be the plastic pieces getting brittle and breaking due to the intense heat, sunshine and dryness of the Arizona desert. With no repair parts available I would have to scrounge the others to repair or replace the ones mounted after a few years.

I have had one of the ST-2 antennas up on the roof for about 15-20 years. I have done the reinforcement modification using fiberglass whips. I am sure weather/sun has a lot to do with it as far as to how long antenna will last.

Status
Not open for further replies.