Antennae for MilAir(VHF/UHF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafale01010

What antennae would be good for the VHF/UHF part of MilAir?If i can ever find a good deal on a Pro-60,i will be needing a mobile to put on the truvk for our trip tothe West and i need an antennae for that because i am going to use the Pro-60 for MilAir only and 96 for all others and i already have a mobile for the 96.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I don't know of anything specifically tuned for milair, so we'll go with broadbanded antennas - the NilJon is one, I know Comtelco and AOR also make these as well. Our scanner antennas wiki has links (see the Universal page links for NilJon and AOR - I'm sure there are other distributors, too)....73 Mike

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
That's not a mobile antenna, though with the right mount, it's possible - it's so thin at the top, that it probably wouldn't stand up well to highway speeds

73 Mike

prcguy

If your really a hard core mil air freak you can get a surplus VHF/UHF aircraft antenna and stick it on your trunk. I have a nice Collins version but haven't crossed the line into freak category yet.
prcguy

DPD1

Very tough to cover those two bands in a mobile. Not even the military does it. They usually use a 1/4 wave for VHF and a fat dipole for the UHF. The dipole actually does a better job of picking up stuff outside the UHF band than a 1/4 wave UHF would. I would just pick which band you're interested in most and go with a 1/4. Trim a basic 1/4 to 9" for UHF. You'll still get VHF. I'm working on a UHF mobile design now, but it won't be done for a while. I'll be offering that with a VHF as well. You would probably have a hard time ordering the ones they actually use, and it would be a lot of money even if they sold you one.

Dave
http://www.dpdproductions.com
Antennas & Accessories for the RF Professional & Radio Hobbyist

rafale01010

hmmmm

Would my existing mobile scanner antennae i got from RS do a good job?its model number 20-032,it costs $35 and works good with what i can pick up around my area.

DPD1

They claim it's 25-1300 MHz, which is always silly because so is a coat-hangar. But looks like they have a VHF and UHF element in there, so it would probably work good enough. Anything is better than the hand-held antenna.

Dave

prcguy

The US military has lots of single and dual band aircraft antennas for vehicular use but the mounts are kinda big for your average car. Many new installations have a Shakespeare or Valcom 30 to 512MHz (continuous!) whip for the PRC-117F and newer multiband hand helds. I have one of the 30-512 Shakespeare whips that will eventually go on a commo shelter project.
prcguy
DPD1 said:
Very tough to cover those two bands in a mobile. Not even the military does it. They usually use a 1/4 wave for VHF and a fat dipole for the UHF. The dipole actually does a better job of picking up stuff outside the UHF band than a 1/4 wave UHF would. I would just pick which band you're interested in most and go with a 1/4. Trim a basic 1/4 to 9" for UHF. You'll still get VHF. I'm working on a UHF mobile design now, but it won't be done for a while. I'll be offering that with a VHF as well. You would probably have a hard time ordering the ones they actually use, and it would be a lot of money even if they sold you one.

Dave

DPD1

I've dealt mostly with AF stuff, but I do think I recall seeing that somewhere. I'd be curious to look at that on the monitor.

Dave

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Raf, I have used the NILJON Super M Mobile antenna coupled to my Uniden BC396T in my car. I live in Suburban Chicago and I can hear O'hare's ground controllers from 25 miles away.
The NILSON, is expensive and odd looking. However, it does well for Civil Air, MilAir and other frequency ranges. I hope this helps.
Joe N9JCQ

Status
Not open for further replies.