Antennae Heigth

Status
Not open for further replies.

rafale01010

Im not exactly new to scanners, ive had mine for about 6-8 months(the best investment ive made that cost me big money) and i was wondering if its possible to overload a scanner from the heigth of the antennae, if i were to put it on top of my house? A friend of mine said it could but for some reason i highly doubt that its possible.

captclint

Mentor
rafale01010 said:
i was wondering if its possible to overload a scanner from the heigth of the antennae, if i were to put it on top of my house? A friend of mine said it could but for some reason i highly doubt that its possible.
in general, no, but if you live in a high RF environment(lots of towers close by), you might over load on some freq. You can always use Attenuate. Some scanners are a little more prone to this(GRE), but in general, the higher the better, and the better quality coax should be used for runs greater than 50', or if you are trying to get 800mhz.

n8emr

You will not overload the front end by moving the hight up, but you may hear more stations on the same frequency and they may interfere with each other.

n2mdk

I think it really depends where you live and on the scanner. If I plugged any scanner other than my Pro-2006 into the Diamond discone on the roof I had in NYC it would either swamp my front end or end up in intermod city. I used about 25'of LMR-400 on it so it had little loss really. If your in a non RF heavy environment it should be OK.

LEH

Premium Subscriber
As was previously stated, unless you live close to active towers, you are probably not going to have a problem.

I have a discone mounted on a 30 foot mast. Where I am now, I am not having any problems. I had a similar set up when I lived in Ohio and lived about 1/4 of a mile from the local police transmitter. Every time they keyed up, it would overload the scanner. If I used the cheap little hook in the back whip, everything was okay.

Setting the attenuator on may help keep the powerful signals out, but it also kills those weak or distant signals you might want to hear. There are always trade offs.

rafale01010

ahh

I didnt think it would, nor did my dad. We are in the country more-or-less and the nearest radio tower i know of is 10-15 miles away and that is the GSP's tower for Houston County

Status
Not open for further replies.