Antennas for a Uniden BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to this.
Recently bought a Uniden BCD996P2 and it came with this small antenna. I realized we have and old antenna on the roof with a coaxel cable for tv but could i some how use it for the Uniden BCD996P2?

JASII

Memory Capacity
Antennas For A Uniden BCD996P2

More information is needed. What antenna is on the roof? Is it a TV antenna, satellite antenna, or something else? What coaxial cable is there? Is it RG-6 for TV? There should be markings on it? What do you hope to listen to? For example, if you have a VHF antenna, a run of fairly new LMR-400, and you want to listen to trains on 160-161 Mhz, you are in great shape. On the other hand, if you have a VHF TV antenna (log periodic type), connected to RG-59U, and you want to listen to local police and fire on 800 Mhz, it won't help much, so that is why we need more information in order to help you.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
You'll need to program the scanner before you will hear anything. The 996 series of scanners doesn't have any kind of pre-programmed internal database.

And the TV antenna likely isn't going to work all that well. It needs to be pointed at whatever you're trying to listen to, and should be turned vertically to match the transmitter orientation, or you'll lose 10-20dB of signal strength. If it's an old antenna that hasn't been used in a long time, it may be broken, or there may be corrosion or water intrusion in the coax, causing loss of signal.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
You'll need to program the scanner before you will hear anything. The 996 series of scanners doesn't have any kind of pre-programmed internal database.

Actually that's not quite correct. Several of the SQKs (at least with the original and XT versions) are pre-programmed with data that was supposed to be used as a demo. It is, of course, way out of date by now, so yes, it needs to be programmed using an application and data from the RRDB.

Here's an article from our wiki (links are always in blue) with all the links you need to get started;

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

Also see the Easier to Read manuals linked at the bottom of this article.

Mike

just waiting on the usb to mini usb from Uniden, also got the ARC XT software installed. what do you think is the best antenna for the bcd996p2?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
just waiting on the usb to mini usb from Uniden, also got the ARC XT software installed. what do you think is the best antenna for the bcd996p2?

Unless you have any special challenges, such as being in a valley or on the back side of hills, you'll probably find the stock antenna to be sufficient. If you are monitoring the ARMER system, it is designed for portable coverage (as in responders carrying portables and being able to hear the transmitters).

When we travel to East Grand Forks, I seem to get pretty good reception on my scanners. I imagine its due to the flat terrain up that way. The only lament I have is the local folks aren't very chatty, or there aren't very many calls for service. The state patrol is pretty active, but the way they do their system is that the main talkgroup for each district are "pushed out" to every tower in the district. So for example, when I'm in East Grand Forks I'm able to hear all the troopers in the Thief River District, where with the "old" system I was lucky just to hear those in Polk County - definitely a lot more stuff to hear that way.

If you are trying to pull in signals from distant counties, an exterior mounted all-band base antenna would be helpful. Rules of thumb for these are mount as high as you can and use the best coax you can afford.

(Be sure you program all the Interoperable talkgroups both state and your region. All kinds of good stuff there.)

Last edited:

blue5011

Huh? All four of my (new) 996 series scanners came w/ "per-programed internal database". And the scanners all came w/ a USB cable included..., no need to buy a cable separately.

I use Freescan to control and program the 996's and have a 18" 2M/ 440 rubber-duck antenna's installed.

wogggieee

Premium Subscriber
At a minimum you'll probably have to put a new connector on the cable. TV connectors aren't compatible with the one on the back of your radio.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Huh? All four of my (new) 996 series scanners came w/ "per-programed internal database".

Generic conventional public safety frequencies, not an actual database with trunked systems tagged with location data like what the x36 and SDS100 come with.

Status
Not open for further replies.