Antennas for the 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I wanted to get one for my hand held 436. Thanks for your help. My experience has shown there is not much you can do with a portable unless you connect it to an outdoor antenna. I've done that before and got good reception.

THANKS

Greg

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
I've merged the two BCD436HP antenna threads together.

There's lots of great information in the previous posts.

yaesumofo

Hey guys.
As a professional sound mixer I run accross cool gear all the time. I have been using Remote audio antennas when I have a need to go small and have an antenna for a specific UHF range.
these
Antennas | Remote Audio

are very easy to tune are small and heavy duty.
they cost around $20.00 they make BnC and SmA antennas as well as some othe cool stuff.

if you have money to burn
and need small and directional antennas then THIS may be the way to go $$$

http://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/7833-alpseriestd-1.pdf
these alps antennas are professional grade and work very well.

MY every day use antenna is still the SRH77CA

Yaesumofo

yaesumofo

Isn't the 436 an SMA antenna? Does it come with an adapter so you can use BNC?

AND most quality "scanner" antennas come in both flavors.
I personally do not recommend using an adapter unless necessary.
grab a SRH77CA you really can't go wrong.

Yaesumofo

W2SJW

Database Admin
My antennas have to come off quickly for transport in the nylon case I carry everything in. I'm not one for constant un-threading SMA connectors...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The frequencies I would monitor would be various I suppose; 800's will be there for a P25 system, also some in the 400 range. Its sort of a mix.

I do not know how far I am away from the sources. Chicago is fun to monitor, and they worked good with my 996T and an outdoor antenna; But very scratchy with my 436. They are about 40 miles away.

Lake county would be great to..but again, lots of static.

I wish I could give you better info..but that's all I have. Thank you.

Greg
Forty miles on a handheld would be somewhat of a stretch, unless you're talking about a healthy Uhf or Vhf-high system (strong signal). It also helps if you are high enough, or their transmit site is 'above' you in elevation so that you have line of sight. On 700/800MHz trunked systems, anything over 25 miles is a bonus. Really needs a good antenna, and a line of sight path to the system's transmit site.

For my 436, I'm using the R/S 800MHz antenna, along with the SMA/BNC adapter. Gives me good coverage on the numerous trunked systems in my Metro area, and no problems with conventional Uhf, which is what Dallas (city) Fire & Police currently use. I do lose some signal strength on the more distant Vhf-high stations, but the ones that interest me most are close enough, and strong enough, it's not an issue.

Another antenna that I use on occasion, on my HP-1, is the RH-789. It's a telescoping antenna, with a swivel attachment, and comes in both BNC & SMA mounting. I used that on my HP-1 during a month long hospital stay last year, and had much better results than I expected.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I appreciate all the inputs. Thanks Steve. I've heard others talk about that RS model as well. If it really makes a difference I may have to break down and get one. I'm still fighting with the programming of the scanner. Nothing but trouble, almost to much trouble for a scanner. I know the book inside and out. But when the internal software of the scanner decides to trick you with little changes, then I have to go hunting for it, its not much fun.

When I bought my PRO 106 a while back, I was told that it was really a bear to program. Compared to the 436, that PRO 106 was a cake walk...and it still gets great sound and all. I bought the 436 for the newer radio systems. I'm not sure if it was worth it.

Thanks again. Greg

Scott..my wife calls me "little stubby" all the time. I didn't know she was referring to an antenna.

bear780ks

Cool :D:p:D I have a couple of them my self Good Antenna's for sure along with my Radio Shack 800) Hey A good place to put those Antenna's is an antenna Holder) The one I use actually a Clear Box is a small trip a way to Walmart and there Fish & Tackle Dept. I got a Flambeau Model No. 3009UM

Here's the Link.. Bear
Tuff 'Tainer Umbrella Rig Storage Box w/ Zerust®

W2SJW

Database Admin
Lol on the stubby! I have a large padded scientific calculator case I got at a hamfest in Baltimore that hold the scanner & all the antennas comfortably. The 396 would slide around in there just a bit, but the 436 is a perfect fit. I'm glad I kept when I sold the 396...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 4

safetyobc

I got the 800 MHz one in a few days ago and been using it. It works okay but as stated before I am 15 miles from the nearest tower. So I usually show 1 to 2 bars on the signal using this new antenna.

However using this antenna I got from Amazon I get 3 to 4 bars. Same as I get with my RS 800 antenna. The only problem with the SectrumForce is that it doesn't screw all the way down on the BCD436HP. It leaves about 1/8" of the SMA connector exposed. So it doesn't look the best. But it works good. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

y5ume8y4.jpg

lep

If you are worried about the looks, put a small rubber grommet over the SMA before you screw down the connector and it will compress in place and fill the void. Of course, as you know it will not make any performance difference.

ezdropper

Premium Subscriber
I have been VERY happy with the Diamond SRH77CA.
This is the SMA version of the RH77CA.
It is a gain antenna on VHF and UHF.
It may be a little LONG for some.
I like how it receives.
Diamond® Antenna ~ SRH77CA Dualband HT Antenna

Yaesumofo

I second the vote for the Diamond RH77CA and also the Watson WSMA-881 Super Gainer (the same antenna as the Diamond), both perform great even on low bands.

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-006297

http://www.scannermaster.com/WSMA_881_Super_Gainer_SMA_Portable_Antenna_p/28-541179.htm

Last edited:

bear780ks

These antenna's here from WPS is one's that I like next to my others antennas that I have for my radios) These have a Flared bottom half I've had really good success with both of my Antenna's from WPS

Here are my 2

EXC821SM - Antenex (Centurion) 821-902MHz SMA/Male Tuf Duck Antenna

EXS806SM - Antenex (Centurion) 806-866MHz SMA/Male Connector Tuf Duck Antenna

This is the other one one that I like and might get in the near Future

EXE806SM - Antenex (Centurion) 806-866MHz (Covered) SMA/Male Tuf Duck Antenna

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Another antenna that I use on occasion, on my HP-1, is the RH-789. It's a telescoping antenna, with a swivel attachment, and comes in both BNC & SMA mounting. I used that on my HP-1 during a month long hospital stay last year, and had much better results than I expected.

That's a pretty long antenna when fully extended 9about 31") but looks like a high-quality item. What are your favorite bands when using this antenna? Do you "tune" it for one band only, or do you do multi-band scanning with it adjusted to one length?

Status
Not open for further replies.