Antennas for the 436HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Guys,

Just my 2¢ here, but I wanted to carry over the operation I had with my 396XT & have individual antennas for each main band I listen to.

These were $13 a piece from Tessco. They are Laird Tuf-Duck professional grade antennas, and I could not be more happy with their performance!

MA8ZXgA.jpg

This is what the 800MHz model looks like when actually on the unit. The shrouded BNC connectors are perfectly gaped, so they won't try to unscrew the adapter when you remove them. In my basement computer room, I'm getting 100% S-meter readings on the NJSP & NJICS systems (as you can see in the picture).
5OYUkRt.jpg

miccona

went on there site and cant find these antennas there could u provide a link to the location thanks

W2SJW

Database Admin
I updated the VHF link - I accidentally linked to a 3.5" super-stubby on the first one...

W2SJW

Database Admin
Yep, if I need more gain, I have the Radio Shack high-gain 800 model for that. The stubby is perfect for areas like Baltimore & DC with high RF environments that can cause simulcast issues. I also don't live more than 5 miles from the closest state tower site here in NJ (plus, it makes the scanner look cool!)...

safetyobc

I live about 15 miles from the nearest tower. I ordered the 800 MHz. I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

XTS3000

Only antenna I use is the Comet SMA-503. Started using that antenna in 2005 when the 396T came out, and haven't found a better one for V/U7/8 listening.

Under around 70mhz, the Comet-SMA-503 is a poor performer.

Comet SMA-503 is great for 70mhz and above.

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I still use the RS 800 MHz antenna, but have many other duck antennas for specific bands.

teufler

a 5 dbd gain antenna is the Larsen Blade antenna. FB35T800WA. ITS FOR 800 MHZ, 20" tall, has a ground plane that is 3 1/2 inches,, 4 blades that the antenna mounts too, n connector, an outside antenna that is small enough to be mounted inside. A real big difference for monitoring the 800 trunking sytems .Its short enough that it can be mounted in the attic then get coax for whatever length you need. Otherwise the Austin Condor is the antenna that I use on my 396xt.The Larsen KoolDuck antennas I have are bnc type so I can use them on my 296d.

KC2JS

Feed Provider
Is everyone having good luck with after market antennas? I have the Watson WSMA-801 on my 396xt and it works great. On the 436, the stock antenna performs better. Wondering if anyone else has the same results.

mrkelso

Is everyone having good luck with after market antennas? I have the Watson WSMA-801 on my 396xt and it works great. On the 436, the stock antenna performs better. Wondering if anyone else has the same results.

That watson antenna has given me great results.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
BCD436 Antenna

I don't know for sure if I am in the right place; I searched for 20 minutes hoping I would find stuff I could read rather then type this. :(

What is recommended as a good replacement antenna for the BCD 436 HP? I haven't a clue. I am not real happy with the reception I get here inside the house. Outside I don't know how it does as its been to cold to take the 436 out until I buy it a coat.

Seriously, any suggestions for an antenna that will really make a difference? Thank you.

Greg

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Which frequency ranges are you trying to listen to!

How far away are you from those signal sources?

Sent via Tapatalk

greggk

Premium Subscriber
The frequencies I would monitor would be various I suppose; 800's will be there for a P25 system, also some in the 400 range. Its sort of a mix.

I do not know how far I am away from the sources. Chicago is fun to monitor, and they worked good with my 996T and an outdoor antenna; But very scratchy with my 436. They are about 40 miles away.

Lake county would be great to..but again, lots of static.

I wish I could give you better info..but that's all I have. Thank you.

Greg

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Are you looking for a portable antenna, or a base station antenna? For base stations, you might find good results with a discone antenna outside. I pick up stations over 80 miles away with mine.

As for portable use, for the best results, you need to pick a band, and get an antenna for that band I would think. I dont know of any wide range antennas with any gain that would work better than the antenna that comes with the scanner.

A cellular antenna would be a good match for the 800 band.

Status
Not open for further replies.