Antennas on Buildings - Salem, NH

Status
Not open for further replies.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
Hey all, I was down in Salem, NH recently and noticed some kind of vertical antenna's on almost every commercial building I saw. I didn't think to take any pictures at the time, but all the antennas were the same. I did find a generic picture online that I posted here. You can see the antenna in the left side of the building. I assume this is some kind of public utility reporting system (water, sewer, etc....), but I really have no idea. Any thoughts on this? Just curious...

Attachments

• 21316346_284nBway.jpg
    21316346_284nBway.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 74

nd5y

The picture isn't good enough to tell what it is. If it isn't used for utilities it might be for the alarm system.

emsflyer84

Premium Subscriber
I’ll have to find better pictures. But every building had an identical antenna. Everything from gas stations to professional buildings.

jmarcel66

Feed Provider
Those do look like the typical 72/75Mhz radio box antennas. Salem had that type of system and still may. You'll see them around Manchester and in the Lakes Region areas. Both had them as well.

skip0157

It looks like an antenna for a municipal fire alarm system, i.e. Signal Communications. Many areas have these systems.

ecps92

You are correct, many used 72/75 MHz for years and we have begun to see others using UHF, VHF and for the old Military Bases, they used VHF Mil and the city/town now providing Fire Services uses those legacy NTIA Channels, generally in the lower VHF High [136-144]
I looked at some buildings on Google street view. They look like 72 MHz or so coaxial dipole antennas.
Looks like the town has a public fire alarm system according to
which shows 600 one watt fixed stations.

KEWB-N1EXA

Acushnet Heights Radio 740
Where I live in New Bedford MA No More Wired Fire Alarms on Buildings - All need a 70Mhz Antenna for the Alarm System.

Status
Not open for further replies.