Antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

FD4D

Hi all,

Busy night up here in Sussex, 3rd alarm with m/a EMS in Franklin. I am using a scantena by antennacraft bought from goove many years ago. Its roof mounted and I am looking for someting better. Cay anyone offer any advice ?

Thanks

FD4D aka David

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
What frequency range is your primary concern? I have found that ham radio dual bander verticles for 144/440 work much better than discones or scantenna types for generaal VHF/UHF receive. My comet GP-6 even receives quite well on VHF low band and in the milair band as well. For 800 MHz I would use a dedicated band specific antenna unless you're really close to the towers.

nnjradiotech

Premium Subscriber
FYI, encase you don't know... The SCAMtenna is a directional receiver. If what you are interested in hearing is all in the same direction, you might be able to turn the antenna and receive an area better. (I had one and I felt it was junk, but know people it works for). Just looking to help you save a few bucks. :)

Also, I purchased a "Double Discone" from ScannerMaster about two years ago and I am very happy with it. Unfortunately, every antenna has it's pro's and con's and sometimes it is a trial and error process to find the one that works best for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.