• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
why uhf when i need vhf antenna

I was referring to the connector on the Spectra itself. Doesn't matter what band the radio is, they all use the same mini-UHF connector as opposed to the PL-259's that are typically on ham radios. The website I posted will take you to several models of VHF antennas that'll work great.

cmdrwill

Best to get a broad band antenna that covers the radio's transmit range.

Comtelco A1511A will cover most of the frequency range.

Gain antennas will NOT cover more than a couple of MHZ in the VHF band. Been there, done that, and I run the A1511A and out talk all the other so-called gain and hammy antennas.

Dito on the correct connector on the cable... Mini UHF male.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
Just a palin old 1/4 wave on an NMO mount will work the best if you want to cover the widest band-split possible. If you have a specific area that your interested in, like the 144-148MHz amateur band, then you can look to get a higher gain antenna that has a narrow bandwidth.

n5ims

I'm looking for the best antenna for a motorola spectra a4 vhf 136-174 mhz can any one help me out

Some additional details will help provide better answers for you. For example, are you looking for a base or mobile antenna. While the Spectra is often a mobile radio, they also can be used as a base using a power supply and possibly with a mount such as the HLN6042A. It also may be important to know if it is the high or low power version of the Spectra. Antennas that can easily handle the 45 watt dash mount may burn up the loading coil on the 110 watt version.

It's also to know what you consider to be best.

* I may need a very short antenna to fit into my garage while you may be OK with something much larger.
* I may live in a rural area with lots of flat land and need lots of gain. You may live in a large urban area with lots of intermod so a unity gain antenna would work better.
* I may be OK with drilling mounting holes in a brand new car while you just have to have a glass mount antenna.
* I may have an unlimited budget while you need something that costs next to nothing.

Please put as much thought into your question as you want us to put into the answer. While we're generally glad to help out, most of us are not able to read minds (only your posts).

Alliance01TX

Premium Subscriber
Howdy

If you want 'the best' (whatever that means to you) I would get the Motorola Stock antenna via a Motorola dealer. The antenna's are designed for the radio and normally you have several options on mounting, gain and other points. Some have a bit wider band-width and some a cut-to-freq, so that might be an issue...

Yep, they are more expensive but they last long....

Larsen's are great along with other bands and I prefer a Ham Antenna with dual band (146/440) with the 'fold-over' capability. I get wide-band VHF/Mil-Air and UHF coverage in receive mode and good SWR in the Tx on the two Ham bands as well...the fold-over in nice on a truck if you have to go into a parking garage, etc...

Hope this helps.

Thx

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.