• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Antique CB Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nydxa

I'm restoring a Lafayette HB-444/25A from the mid 60's. I'm looking for the schematic, or actually the wiring for the AC line cord. Can anyone point me to a web site that would have this info or perhaps someone has the schematic and can tell me which pins get jumped and which ones get connected to AC power.

Many thanks
Bob
njscan@gmail.com

K4PS

Premium Subscriber
Hello ............ It should be the 8 pin octal looking plug. If so, the 110 AC goes to pins 2 and 3. Pins 4 & 5 are jumped together.
Check out CBTricks.com and go to the Lafayette Radio's page. You can also get some good info off of the old CBTricks manuals that are PDF on file there.

Mike

Dawn

Best to look on Ebay for a SAMS that is usually $12 or less shipped for used copy. Several vendors are constantly replenishing their stocks. Recently, the trend has been to drop the prices of the pre-40 channel units to prices around $7 or less unless it's a high demand manual. Same for 40 channel sets, very popular ones like for a 148gtl or 2000 will fetch more then $12.

Second option for Lafayette is Manualman's website. Pete carrys an enourmous amount of manual copies professionally reproduced at reasonable prices compared to many others. The difference here is he is a former Lafayettte owner/franchisee and has access to documentation that otherwise others would have.

If this set means much to you, it would be wise to pursue both a SAMS and original service manual even if you don't do your own service. I do restorations and this would be a major factor in me taking a job outside of the chassis I know and have docs for. SAM's while giving an annotdated schematics and alternate parts sources and an alignment procedure really offers little else such as theory of operation, circuit board xray views and other things that really assist a tech or anyone doing repair. A good combination is a copy of both to assist a tech or yourself.

While I don't reccomend this and it's best to find an Octal socket that was popular well into the 70'd particularly with American sets along with Jones plugs, you can cannibalize on old radio set using an old octal tube base. Worst case is you can use molex pins slightly spreade out with heat shrink tubing over them if this is a set you're going to keep and do the jump internally. That's a crapy way of doing it, but better then what's I've seen where people try to solder directly to the pins that presents a headache cleaning them up later if you do find a real connector. Octal sockets with a shroud should be easily found on Ebay or another cord for something else and rewired.

Last edited:

TheSpaceMan

I remember when I got a new Lafayette Comstat 25 in 1966, the users manual contained a schematic for the rig. It may also have been included with the HB444/25A users manual, which was manufactured around the same time.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Man, I had Lafayette CBs and quad stereos (remember those? Discrete or matrix?) when I was a teen. Gosh I miss that brand. Always seemed to have the latest and greatest, worked well, and I could afford em with my paper route tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.