Any advice on what scanner I need?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceinthehole

Premium Subscriber
Hello All. I live in Massachusetts, relatively close to a prison. I am wondering if anyone out there can help me decide what scanner I need to be able to listen to Massachusetts state prisons? Also Massachusetts state police. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

DHAS12

Hello All. I live in Massachusetts, relatively close to a prison. I am wondering if anyone out there can help me decide what scanner I need to be able to listen to Massachusetts state prisons? Also Massachusetts state police. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk
Looks like some MSP is on A p25 system, and some is on a Motorola smartzone system. I don't know about prisons, but I would probably recommend a p25 phase 2 scanner

Aceinthehole

Premium Subscriber
Looks like some MSP is on A p25 system, and some is on a Motorola smartzone system. I don't know about prisons, but I would probably recommend a p25 phase 2 scanner
Pricing them out now! Thank you! Do you know how I can find out about the department of correction frequencies? Will I be able to pick them up on this scanner? Thank you again for your help.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

garys

Premium Subscriber
MCI Shirley and MCI Bridgewater, and some others are on low power trunk systems. They have some talk groups on the MSP trunk system for when they are moving prisoners around the state.

Cedar Junction and Concord are on a combination of UHF and conventional 800 Mhz channels.

If you can tell us where live or at least, what facility you live near, someone can probably give you more detailed information and recommendations.

Last edited:

Aceinthehole

Premium Subscriber
MCI Shirley and MCI Bridgewater, and some others are on low power trunk systems. They have some talk groups on the MSP trunk system for when they are moving patients around the state.

Cedar Junction and Concord are on a combination of UHF and conventional 800 Mhz channels.

If you can tell us where live or at least, what facility you live near, someone can probably give you more detailed information.
Thank you! I live in the route 2 corridor. I am interested in NCCI Gardner and the Shirley complex. Not sure what scanner I need to pick those up. Thanks for the reply!

Aceinthehole

Premium Subscriber
I am interested in NCCI Gardner and the Shirley complex. Just don't know which scanner to buy go listen in. Thanks!

Aceinthehole

Premium Subscriber
MCI Shirley and MCI Bridgewater, and some others are on low power trunk systems. They have some talk groups on the MSP trunk system for when they are moving prisoners around the state.

If you can tell us where live or at least, what facility you live near, someone can probably give you more detailed information and recommendations.
NCCI gardner?

garys

Premium Subscriber
Information is here,
MA Department of Correction (DOC) - Scan New England Wiki

There is nothing at all digital used by the DOC.

If there are other things you want to listen to, then digital might be desirable. Also, in the future, there will be more systems moving to digital, either trunked or conventional. Worcester is already there, so if you want to listen to them, you'll need a digital scanner of some flavor.

Of course, you'll also have to decide if you want a new or used scanner.

NCCI gardner?

Aceinthehole

Premium Subscriber
Information is here,
MA Department of Correction (DOC) - Scan New England Wiki

There is nothing at all digital used by the DOC.

If there are other things you want to listen to, then digital might be desirable. Also, in the future, there will be more systems moving to digital, either trunked or conventional. Worcester is already there, so if you want to listen to them, you'll need a digital scanner of some flavor.

Of course, you'll also have to decide if you want a new or used scanner.
Just out of curiosity, would my radio shack pro-97 still be able to pick up NCCI Gardner? I can't get anything on that anymore. I greatly appreciate your reply.

garys

Premium Subscriber
It will cover the frequencies and will work for Motorola Type II trunking. Whether it will receive the signals or not depends on how far you are from there, how much power the transmitters put out, and other variables. I would certainly try it since you already own it.

Just out of curiosity, would my radio shack pro-97 still be able to pick up NCCI Gardner? I can't get anything on that anymore. I greatly appreciate your reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.