BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Any better Mobile Antenna's then stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

token22

Are there any better Antenna's then Stock for a BCD436HP Interested mostly in VHF/UHF ranges since that's what I'm listening to most.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I've used a Diamond RH77A with great results, first on my 125AT and on my 436HP. I've also used the stock antenna that came with my 996XT on my 436 with equally great results.

token22

Thanks for the Info. The Watson WSMA 801 looked like a great antenna at the right size problem is Scanner Master is out of stock I'm having them e-mail me when there back in stock. Most likely that won't be for awhile
. I'm ordering the Diamond RH77A even thou its made for Ham The price is right and If it don't work out maybe the Watson will be in stock by then. the majority of what I'm listening too is UHF with a couple of VHF's and 1 channel in the 800mhz range. The only thing I don't like about the Diamond is the size 15". The Comet while small would be the next choice while it did get some good reviews on amazon , some people have noted it it had trouble with medium strength signals. Thanks for all the info I'm sure there all better then the stock antenna which for me is ok pulling in some signals but its just not enough for the others which are not really that far away.

garys

Premium Subscriber
To be clear, you want a better antenna to put directly on to the 436HP, not a mobile antenna to use on a vehicle?

If the answer is yes, you should look at the Remtronix REM-800B. It's essentially the Radio Shack 800Mhz antenna. It comes in BNC and SMA versions.

Thanks for the Info. The Watson WSMA 801 looked like a great antenna at the right size problem is Scanner Master is out of stock I'm having them e-mail me when there back in stock. Most likely that won't be for awhile
. I'm ordering the Diamond RH77A even thou its made for Ham The price is right and If it don't work out maybe the Watson will be in stock by then. the majority of what I'm listening too is UHF with a couple of VHF's and 1 channel in the 800mhz range. The only thing I don't like about the Diamond is the size 15". The Comet while small would be the next choice while it did get some good reviews on amazon , some people have noted it it had trouble with medium strength signals. Thanks for all the info I'm sure there all better then the stock antenna which for me is ok pulling in some signals but its just not enough for the others which are not really that far away.

bearcat

You may want to read this thread. It will do more to improve your UHF reception than a new antenna

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...72-436-how-improve-your-uhf-reception-29.html

goodmore

I got the Watson 801. I had it shipped from England. Some will ship and some will not. It made a good difference over the stock except the 33 kHz frequencies. I just ordered shielding tape.

token22

Thanks for the Info on the RF shield tape on the back of the battery door I have some of that tape here at work and I'll give it a try Got to make sure you don't short the batteries I'll add a small piece of foam around buy the terminals.
I ended up buying the Diamond SRH77CA for the SMA connector. What sold me was in universal sales description they mentioned they sell more of these to Scanner Listeners then to Ham's We"ll see in a couple of days.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the Info on the RF shield tape on the back of the battery door I have some of that tape here at work and I'll give it a try Got to make sure you don't short the batteries I'll add a small piece of foam around buy the terminals.
I ended up buying the Diamond SRH77CA for the SMA connector. What sold me was in universal sales description they mentioned they sell more of these to Scanner Listeners then to Ham's We"ll see in a couple of days.

That's not a bad antenna either. I own both the SMA and the BNC, and do use them here and there. I prefer the Watson because of the length. Bottom line? If it works, you done good! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.