Any CA advice for a New to CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased my first scanner - a Pro 164.

I am presently in Palmdale area. I managed to get some freqs downloaded through Win97 for the LA County area. I have this nagging feeling that I am missing something though.

Is there anything that a Newbie really wished he knew?

Thanks in advance.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
Well, you won't be able to listen to the LAPD, since they're digital, but it looks like the LASO and county fire stuff is still analog, so you should be ok for a few years, at least.

Eng74

Welcome to the Sandbox! I bet you never thought it could get so cold in the desert. Depends on what you want to scan. If you can spend the cash and get digital you will be able to scan Edwards AFB and then for trips into L.A. you can get Verdugo and LAPD.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
You guys have me drooling for digital. This may be a silly question, but...If you have a digital you CANNOT get analog, correct?

I'd love to hear Edwards! But I just dropped too much cash on my first analog. So the digital will have wait. Thanks for the info, though.

We want to hear all law enforcement and fire, things along those lines.

If there is anything out there in analog that is fun, I am up for suggestions!

Thanks for the replies!

Eng74

Don't forget Air Force Plant 42. You always see the B-2 and others doing T & G's there. Be sure to go check out the SR-71 and other planes they have on display out there too.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
Digital scanners also work for analog.

Man, I did not know that. I thought you had to have one or the other. Well, that means I may have to re-thing my purchase, I have 30 days. Any suggestions on a good digital? (I hope that doesn't change the thread too much).

Thanks!

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
Don't forget Air Force Plant 42. You always see the B-2 and others doing T & G's there. Be sure to go check out the SR-71 and other planes they have on display out there too.

Is Plant 42 here in Palmdale?

I went to Air Park with my kids the other day but it was closed. We plan on going back. They have the F-117 there too.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
If you insist on Radio Shack, you're pretty much limited to the PRO-106, at $500, unless you seek out used units.

Uniden handheld would be the BCD396XT, GRE Handheld, the PSR-500, for new units.

The Radioreference Wiki has this page covering all the assorted digital capable scanners:

Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki

Eng74

Is Plant 42 here in Palmdale?

I went to Air Park with my kids the other day but it was closed. We plan on going back. They have the F-117 there too.

That would be the place. I think it open on Fridays and Saturdays. That is where they built the B-1's, B-2's and the Space Shuttle.

gman65

Premium Subscriber
If you insist on Radio Shack, you're pretty much limited to the PRO-106, at $500, unless you seek out used units.

Uniden handheld would be the BCD396XT, GRE Handheld, the PSR-500, for new units.

The Radioreference Wiki has this page covering all the assorted digital capable scanners:

Category:Digital Scanners - The RadioReference Wiki
Radio Shack has had sales on the 106 down to at least $399 at times recently. If you have the option to trade in for digital it is worth it. Most law enforcement in So Cal is digital.

Spend a little time on the feeds for LAPD and I think your mind will be made up for you.

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
Took the Plunge

I went ahead and got a PRO-106!

I'm not getting the local Sheriff like I was on the 164 though. Any ideas?

jitrevino

Premium Subscriber
Eng74,

Thanks for the lead.

Under the Global Menu I turned the Global Atten: to OFF.

There is an item right above it that says AttenMode, I turned that to Global. That brought in the freqs I was missing out on.

What is the difference in AttenMode and Global Atten?

Thanks for the Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.