Any Christchurch Radio Scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia101

Online rebroadcasting of radio communications of emergency services. Is illegal in NZ. Audio feeds get taken offline by the authorities here fairly quickly.

All Police communications in the three main regions of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch are APCO-25 digital with encryption anyway.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
Online rebroadcasting of radio communications of emergency services. Is illegal in NZ. Audio feeds get taken offline by the authorities here fairly quickly.

All Police communications in the three main regions of Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch are APCO-25 digital with encryption anyway.
Who said anything about emergency services?

Patricia101

Who said anything about emergency services?
The only comms you could probably rebroadcast legally online from NZ. Would be a local Amateur radio repeater or maybe CB radio. Otherwise you'd have to get permission from the said user to rebroadcast their comms online. Like say the local taxi operator. etc.

belvdr

No longer interested in living
The only comms you could probably rebroadcast legally online from NZ. Would be a local Amateur radio repeater or maybe CB radio. Otherwise you'd have to get permission from the said user to rebroadcast their comms online. Like say the local taxi operator. etc.
No one is talking about rebroadcasting either.

majoco

Stirrer
Just for interest and not pointing the bone at anyone but.....what you hear on your scanner is not like listening to 2ZB talkback radio and you are free to spread the word. It's not like that at all - in fact you can not tell anybody anything about what you hear - in fact you can't tell anybody that you even heard a message, never mind what was in it - and if you use the information you heard to gain an advantage, something like "insider trading" you could be in deep doo-doo.

Here's the regs...

The relevant part is here....

Radiocommunications Act 1989 No 148 (as at 28 September 2017), Public Act 133A Offence to disclose contents of radiocommunications – New Zealand Legislation

...and the whole reg. is here.....

Radiocommunications Act 1989 No 148 (as at 28 September 2017), Public Act Contents – New Zealand Legislation

If you were a radio operator in the military you are still bound by the official secrets act which you signed long ago.

Cheers - Martin ZL2MC

Mike_NZ

Hi there,
I'm actually in the middle of upgrading my aerial installation and re-working how my station is setup, it more or less got thrown together after I shifted, to get back on the air.
However, the scanning gear I normally use, is as follows:
  • Uniden BC-9000XLT
  • Uniden UBCT8
  • An elderly J.I.L SX-200
  • A Realistic Pro-2021
  • A Yaesu VR-120D handheld scanner.
Pretty much all I listen to is Fire & Emergency, the 9000 is connected to my computer via a discriminator tap in the radio and this is used for decoding pager signals.
The three other base sets are connected to a Sel-Call decoder, via an audio mixer and this gives me real-time decoding of turn-outs and appliance movements from about Kaikoura north, down to about Oamaru.

EarHoles

An elderly J.I.L SX-200 ! I recently found one of these . Been having some trouble getting it working right, do you know where i could get a aerial for it? The one that screws on top

Mike_NZ

An elderly J.I.L SX-200 ! I recently found one of these . Been having some trouble getting it working right, do you know where i could get a aerial for it? The one that screws on top
Personally,
I wouldn't use that connection, the antenna socket on the back of the radio is much better.
I tried to get the antenna port on top to work adequately and gave up when i found that reception was quite sporadic.
My advice would be to get a Motorola connector (think car aerial connector) and use that and then you can put any aerial you like on the end of it.
Jaycar actually sell these in either a solder or a solderless type and are a cinch to fit.

majoco

Stirrer
I'm trying to get my head around the TG's around Palmerston north without having any info that I can find. I've logged quite a few frequencies but with knowing all the frequencies in one group it's hard to put the data into the scanners. All of my frequencies are around 416MHz and mostly on 6.26kHz channels which supposedly are digital in the US but are all analogue voice here.
My other entries are in a post titled "Setting up trunking with no info!" in the "General Scanning Discussions" forum right at the top!

dazza0768

off topic slightly, but does anyone know of any trunking in south canterbury, timaru area? i have all of the groups for canterbury off radio wiki but i dont hear anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.