Any Class Action on False Advertizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Isn't the comparable Whistler model going cost close to $600.00?

There is no comparable Whistler model. Whistler has currently released PSR500/600 clones which still have the same shortcomings that line has. Their next release will be PSR800 clones and the fabled "PSR900" (PSR800 in a mobile case) clone.

You could call the PSR800 "comparable" to the x36 line, but that's like saying a Samsung GS5 smartphone is comparable to a first-gen iPod Touch - the feature set is completely different.

What is analyze anyway?

I have a theory that most of the complainers that Analyze is missing have this exact same question! ;)

Analyze brings the functionality of programs like Unitrunker or PRO96COM into the radio. You can assess different parameters and definitions of various trunking systems and log the details to the radio's microSD card. In addition, there are several other utilities like an LCN finder for EDACS and LTR systems - in other words, you don't have to find the LCN order for these systems any more; just load the channels any way, let Analyze chew on the system for a while, and ultimately it'll spit out the right channel order. That's really just scratching the surface of what Analyze Mode can do, but it's all along those lines.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
There is no comparable Whistler model. Whistler has currently released PSR500/600 clones which still have the same shortcomings that line has. Their next release will be PSR800 clones and the fabled "PSR900" (PSR800 in a mobile case) clone.

You could call the PSR800 "comparable" to the x36 line, but that's like saying a Samsung GS5 smartphone is comparable to a first-gen iPod Touch - the feature set is completely different.

Even with all my complaints about the x36 scanners, the PSR-800 is not even close to comparable. The x36 line is hands down better than the PSR-800 ever was. From New Jersey to West Virginia, the 436 has been near perfect on digital on every system I've monitored. The PSR-800, not so much.

I will choose to buy a 536HP over the PSR-900, whenever the 900 is released.

Jay, is the x36 analyze the same as the HP-1 extreme update? Or, do you think the x36 line will have an updated analyze feature?

JamesO

I have a theory that most of the complainers that Analyze is missing have this exact same question! ;)

The mythical Analyze mode is only really understood by those that may have a HP-1 and purchased the Extreme upgrade for another $100 or spend time using other programs that are able to perform a similar function.

The problem here is in NORMAL Uniden MO, they failed to document what some of these more advanced feature sets do, how use and understand them as well as how they work. It would be really helpful if the end user did not have to spend hours on the Internet looking at forums and websites to digest and try to understand what these features do and how they work.

Sure anyone that has spent months or years working with PRO96, Unitrunker or other programs has a much better idea about what these features do and maybe how to use them on the Uniden product, but why can't the manufacturer actually document these features, explain the purpose, show/explain how to use the features along with screen shots and/or videos?

This will be a big issue one the Analyze feature is released and I expect a number of issue when the Siren App shows up on how to get all of these features and properly configured. Uniden Support better be ready for the influx of calls.

Most people, even it not 100% versed in the technology, can follow directions if they are written well and have decent examples be able to get things up and working and at the same time learn more about how the feature is supposed to work and the overall technology.

Unfortunately documentation is a lost art and I think letting vendors off the hook for lack of documentation is totally unacceptable.

But like anything these days, lack of documentation is becoming the norm and people are giving the vendors a pass on this when they should be turning up the heat and demanding Quick Start Guides, proper Instructions with examples, specs and tutorials. Even White Papers with specific configurations and examples of how the device feature can be used and how the information can be helpful to the end user should be expected.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Jay, is the x36 analyze the same as the HP-1 extreme update? Or, do you think the x36 line will have an updated analyze feature?

It's impossible to tell unless someone in the beta team on the x36 (if they've even seen the feature) blurts it out, and I doubt they would. I myself haven't seen it (and I'm not a beta tester, for full disclosure's sake). I would like to think, having said that, that there will be some improvements over the HP1, especially considering the shortcomings in some of the HP1's functionality (I'm looking at you, Activity Log).

henrygb

what could happen if the Analyze mode need to use the Wi-fi dongle? Would be possible to use this feature with the limit size screen of the scanner?. I think about it when I try to imagine the same function in the Home Patrol but using it in BCD536HP

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
what could happen if the Analyze mode need to use the Wi-fi dongle?

Definitely not. HP-1 has Analyze and no Wi-Fi, and it's a planned feature for the 436, which will never have Wi-Fi. There's no reason for Analyze to need Wi-Fi to work.

rwier

............... Analyze mode is only really understood by those that may have a HP-1 and purchased the Extreme upgrade for another $100 ..........................

In my opinion, the Analyze Mode (HP-1E) is "really understood" by only a tiny fraction of those referred to in your post (HP-1E owners/users). I say this because (historically) there have been hardly any posts extolling the virtues of this feature.

Two years ago (or more, I am forgetful), I spent considerable effort to explain how the "E" option changed my entire scanning experience for the better. I'm talking about enabling ALL of my P-25 suitable scanners to go from approximately 40% decoding success to +95% decoding success (of the notorious RWC simulcast system).

At that time, my postings on this subject were met with (except for a very few RR posters) skepticism, derision and abuse. At that time, I chose not to respond (on the RR Forums) to such skepticism, derision, and abuse, but instead, I chose to refrain from logging on to the RR Forums for more than a year.

Since returning to (semi-) active participation in the RR Forums, I have read ZERO posts extolling the benefits of the Extreme Option (HP-1).

I apologize to the RR Forums for my caustic personality, as I realize that I have psychological difficulties with "groups". But, at the same time, I state unequivocally that I would never purposely post information to the Forums, that I didn't believe to be true and accurate.

JamesO

In my opinion, the Analyze Mode (HP-1E) is "really understood" by only a tiny fraction of those referred to in your post (HP-1E owners/users). I say this because (historically) there have been hardly any posts extolling the virtues of this feature.

Two years ago (or more, I am forgetful), I spent considerable effort to explain how the "E" option changed my entire scanning experience for the better. I'm talking about enabling ALL of my P-25 suitable scanners to go from approximately 40% decoding success to +95% decoding success (of the notorious RWC simulcast system).

At that time, my postings on this subject were met with (except for a very few RR posters) skepticism, derision and abuse. At that time, I chose not to respond (on the RR Forums) to such skepticism, derision, and abuse, but instead, I chose to refrain from logging on to the RR Forums for more than a year.

Since returning to (semi-) active participation in the RR Forums, I have read ZERO posts extolling the benefits of the Extreme Option (HP-1).

I apologize to the RR Forums for my caustic personality, as I realize that I have psychological difficulties with "groups". But, at the same time, I state unequivocally that I would never purposely post information to the Forums, that I didn't believe to be true and accurate.

Rob,

I do stand corrected and do agree with what you stated, "["really understood" by only a tiny fraction']".

I will by NO means claim to be an expert on the Analyze feature of my HP-1E or any of the other trunking monitoring programs. Partially as I have not spent a lot of time on trying to get used to and figuring out what the feature can do and what to do with all the info it gathers.

I am probably like many of the scanner users/monitors, that I have bits of time here and there, but rarely any time to dedicate for some of the tools and tasks I would like to accomplish. More often than not I am a monitoring in a passive multitasking phase where I have the scanner on in the background and am listening while I am doing many other things. When something interesting comes on, I try and hold on a System or TG, sometimes, I grab another scanner and get a few radios going to monitor the action.

But my point initially is for any 536HP owners that do not have an HP1-E or have ever used a trunking analysis software, they will have a whole new group of things to learn about. I also expect that Uniden WILL NOT document this feature very well if at all leaving the end users at somewhat of a loss and requiring help from the Forums as this may be the only place to get reasonable and real world answers.

Overall the Analysis tool may may help users better understand the trunking systems they monitor, how multiple sites may be used and at the end of the day become more proficient in understanding the more complex side of trunked radio systems. I mean at the end of the day, most of the users want to master this madness and become proficient in solving their own problems and improving their monitoring experiences.

JamesO

what could happen if the Analyze mode need to use the Wi-fi dongle? Would be possible to use this feature with the limit size screen of the scanner?. I think about it when I try to imagine the same function in the Home Patrol but using it in BCD536HP

Your comment about the screen size is important, this is likely ANOTHER stumbling block Uniden needs to deal with. Remember BOTH the 436HP and 536HP are supposed to have the Analysis feature.

The 436HP display may be more capable and easier to display Analysis info on, but the problem is Uniden will have to format the firmware differently for the 436 than the 536. There is a lot of duplicity in the firmware for Analysis on these radios from the data gathering point, but the data display will be 2 very different animals.

Also for people that have BOTH radios, hopefully Uniden can do something that makes the display of the Analysis data very similiar as to not drive the end user a bit batty when jumping from radio to radio and using this feature.

henrygb

The only confortable way to use the Analyze feature, like HP1-E, in the BCDX36HP, is using an application, maybe siren app, the data would be sent via Wifi, or cable serial USB, and the app could have a better graphic layout. Some kind of app HP1-E emulator. I'm speculating

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
The only confortable way to use the Analyze feature, like HP1-E, in the BCDX36HP, is using an application, maybe siren app, the data would be sent via Wifi, or cable serial USB, and the app could have a better graphic layout. Some kind of app HP1-E emulator. I'm speculating
That might work for the 536HP but not the 436HP, as I believe was already pointed out by another poster.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Express via "Tap-A-Talk"

Boatanchor

Really?

Look at this:

Uniden BCD536HP P 25 Phase II TDMA Self Prog Digital | eBay

"And, the WiFi functionality allows for never-before seen features: App connectivity to your smartphone or tablet from anywhere in your house, your car, or the world."

Or this:

Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP Scanner

"The second innovation is WiFi connectivity. Now you listen to and control your scanner using your smartphone or tablet from anywhere!"

Or this:

Uniden BCD536HP Digital Mobile / Base Scanner

"• WiFi Link for remote access"

Or this:

Uniden Bearcat BCD536HP Police Scanner Free Shipping - Main Trading Company

"But, the BCD536HP adds to that WiFi connectivity, allowing you to listen to and control your scanner using your smartphone or tablet...from anywhere in your home, vehicle, or around the world."

And it goes on and on..

There is not one mention made in any of these ad's, that one of the fundamental features that sets this product aside from competing products, does not actually exist.

It just beggars belief that this is still going on almost 9 months after the products release.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
True, boat

However, are there "footnotes" attached to these statements?

Further, the ad claims made by vendors isn't the responsibility of uniden. Or is it...?

mrkelso

WoW!!........... and not a word on how things are going with the app. I am starting to see the sadness of it all.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
However, are there "footnotes" attached to these statements?

Further, the ad claims made by vendors isn't the responsibility of uniden. Or is it...?

My guess is no to the footnotes. The vendors are taking stuff verbatim from the box or the Uniden website. If Uniden has footnotes that the vendors didn't include, they're safe, but if it's off the box....

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I guess one of the big questions is....Why hasn't anybody with coding experience taken a shot at making this work. The protocol is available to the general public, right? If the scanner software companies can make their software with remote control and people have devised apps that can interface with that control, it seems that all that is needed is a person to reverse engineer the wifi part and make it work.

JamesO

Gotta stand down for a bit guys, give it until Oct 1st to start back up.

Citywide173 - The vendors are just parrots, they are just passing along what they have seen, been told, is documented on the box and in cut sheets. A smart vendor might edit or delete/leave out part of the misinformation, but they are probably in the dark just as we are and there may be some Legal reasons they cannot edit/omit info on their sites. They are just poor folks trying to put food on the table and are at the mercy of the vendors anyway.

As for reverse engineering, could be possibly done, but why bother if the vendor is supposed to deliver something. The other problem is the networking requires firmware and the wireless dongle was a joke out of the starting gate. I have said all along, this would not have been as big of a mess if Uniden would have released both a wired and wireless dongle. The wired dongle would have been working with the Apps around the time they were originally promised. With a wired dongle anyone could have easily added a wireless device of their own and been able to run in direct networking mode to the smart phone. But this is all ancient history and some people do not think outside of the box because they are networking noobs!!

pepsima1 - You're a funny guy!!

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
but why bother if the vendor is supposed to deliver something.

There are two viable answers to this.

1. Because the vendor hasn't.

2. Historically, it has been aftermarket developers that have provided some of the best solutions. Uniden provided rudimentary programming software for the x96 series and the HP-1, but it has been BuTel, Sixspot and others that have provided applications that are more robust and utilize the full capabilities of the radios.

With the obvious failure of Uniden's vendor, it is hard to stay on the "it's coming, just be patient" bandwagon. Uniden should admit that their vendor took them for a ride, cut their losses and encourage some competition to develop a working app.

Status
Not open for further replies.