Any Class Action on False Advertizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesO

There are two viable answers to this.

1. Because the vendor hasn't.

2. Historically, it has been aftermarket developers that have provided some of the best solutions. Uniden provided rudimentary programming software for the x96 series and the HP-1, but it has been BuTel, Sixspot and others that have provided applications that are more robust and utilize the full capabilities of the radios.

With the obvious failure of Uniden's vendor, it is hard to stay on the "it's coming, just be patient" bandwagon. Uniden should admit that their vendor took them for a ride, cut their losses and encourage some competition to develop a working app.

The Siren App is not something a 3rd party can and would like take on. Everything you are talking about is basic radio control software, it may have audio recording, but this is using basic Windows capability and a sound card in the computer.

Networking the device that requires radio firmware, networking capability and even remote servers to allow remote devices to connect over the Internet is no small task and it would take a lot of manpower, time and money.

This is why Uniden has not delivered anything yet, because a bunch of stuffed shirts nodding their heads up and down and the left was waiting for the right to get something working "because how can I do may part without the other part working", this vicious circle of technology.

Anyway, do not count on any 3rd parties offering anything near as complex as what Uniden is supposed to deliver.

Kick back and wait for Oct, then start in on Uniden again!

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
I just got a deal I couldn't say no to on a 536, and while I agree on the complexity of an app that can control over the internet with audio, I am looking more on the lines of the "Access Point Mode." Uniden has made various radios APIs available to developers in the past, so I don't see where a good app developer couldn't partner with one of the scanner control software manufacturers and come up with something.

The largest selling point to me of the 15/X/996T/XT was the remote head option. I already have my infrastructure in place, and it would be a matter of unplugging my 996XT and plugging in the 536, except that there is no way to control it. I guess ARC536 into the computer mounted at the front of my vehicle is a viable option, but my Android phone can see and connect to the 536 in access point mode, so I would like to dedicate a cheap Android tablet to the task of remote displaying the scanner as a control head.

JamesO

I just got a deal I couldn't say no to on a 536, and while I agree on the complexity of an app that can control over the internet with audio, I am looking more on the lines of the "Access Point Mode." Uniden has made various radios APIs available to developers in the past, so I don't see where a good app developer couldn't partner with one of the scanner control software manufacturers and come up with something.

The largest selling point to me of the 15/X/996T/XT was the remote head option. I already have my infrastructure in place, and it would be a matter of unplugging my 996XT and plugging in the 536, except that there is no way to control it. I guess ARC536 into the computer mounted at the front of my vehicle is a viable option, but my Android phone can see and connect to the 536 in access point mode, so I would like to dedicate a cheap Android tablet to the task of remote displaying the scanner as a control head.

Access Point Mode would have been an easier thing to deliver, but Uniden is still floundering on the networking side with the WiFi dongle. If Uniden would have provided a hardwired dongle, then a cheap wireless router that would run on 12 Volts is all you would need to get the Access Point Mode working.

BUT, also think about this, I already suggested it, there is NO WAY to remotely turn on the radio!!! If it was shut down properly so it can write any changes to the SD card.

I offered Uniden a suggest, they may have stolen my idea, who know. Uniden has the 3rd wire on the 536HP as a 12 Volt sense wire. It is currently dedicated to display dimming based on headlights being on. This 12 sense wire should be able to become an ignition sense wire for remote mounting applications with some firmware changes to allow the 536HP to shut down properly and to start up automatically.

But we will see???

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
OK, I had forgotten that the radio was supposed to be "self aware" in regards to downloading updates. That does present a huge problem. Although I don't see a major problem with this in Access Point Mode, as no updates would be downloaded.

pepsima1

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Well Uniden needs to come out and explain to all of us that bought this turd of radio why this all happened and win back our support. Enough of this waiting game. At least lie to us a little bit.

Boatanchor

However, are there "footnotes" attached to these statements?

Further, the ad claims made by vendors isn't the responsibility of uniden. Or is it...?

No footnotes or 'fine print' anywhere to be found on those examples.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Ok boat

I haven't really been investigating any of this too much. It was just a thought.

I definitely think a vendor could say this without any real repercussions, be it purposeful or not. Is that a vendor I would be concerned about? Definitely.

I think you would have to do a lot of investigating and he-said/she-said, to the point where it gets lost in the shuffle. I can't imagine a lawsuit would go anywhere. How many people are really this upset to get involved with something like this?

As I've said before, I really would like to purchase this unit and it really doesn't have anything to do with the "promised app" business. I just want the thing to perform, a wifi feature is just an extra bell or whistler for me. ;)

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
We all need to just show more patience because complaining won't get us anywhere.lol.

Complaining on Radio Reference won't get us anywhere. If we were complaining to Uniden, it would probably result in them getting out of the scanner market.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Complaining on Radio Reference won't get us anywhere. If we were complaining to Uniden, it would probably result in them getting out of the scanner market.

Or at the very least we would lose the great relationship we have with Uniden. I don't see a GREMan or WhistlerMan hanging out here taking all this static from people.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Can we tell from serial numbers (or some other source) how many 536's were sold?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
It will be a cold day in hell before I ever purchase anything from Uniden again until this is fixed. My suggestion was refund everyone 100 bucks and move on. Would be satisfactory to me. Screw discount on next uniden product!

tumegpc

Or at the very least we would lose the great relationship we have with Uniden. I don't see a GREMan or WhistlerMan hanging out here taking all this static from people.

GreMan or WhistlerMan have scanners that work and has given FREE firmware updates that enhanced the use of the scanner.

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
I had a 996XT and two 396XT's when I bought my 536HP. Sold them all at a loss. I feel the best thing I can do is just never buy another Uniden product again. You can use a 20$ dongle and DSD plus and pick up every digital mode out there. CSI has a DMR radio for 200$ that is easily programmed as well.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
My only real issue at this point is trying to figure out the QK's on the 536.

I'm not sure why I'm intimidated by it or why it seems overly-complicated, seeing as I had no problem doing it with my 996/396.

Guess I just need to hunker down and get after it. ;)

Voyager

I would be willing to help you, but you should start a new thread with an appropriate topic. (or PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.