Any Co listners Gone with Uniden 436hp / 536 hp ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLM7424

just wondering how many local's have gone with Either the bc436hp or 536hp.

I picked up a BC436hp Today, i love the unit, a bit of a learning curve at
first, a few hours later I'm getting comfortable with it.

Anyone have files they want to share and Compare .Hpd files ?

I always like to see what others do with their scanner setups

Matt.

Attachments

• Saved HPD files.zip
    80.2 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

nathancarlson

Can someone provide a picture of how the State of Colorado DTRS looks on the display of the 536HP in a favorites list, or break it down so I don't include too much or exclude information for each entry?

I have been working on fine tuning the software for when I get mine. I am using the Sentinel software. One issue I have had is the State of Colorado DTRS. I have a good idea of how I want to set up each favorites list, but not sure how they will look on the display screen. I am making my own lists, because otherwise the department quick keys wouldn't work for departments, and it would scan every control channel (unless I lock each one out that I don't need). What I have been doing is making the favorites list for a county (or Longmont since I live here) and then breaking down the departments for use with quick keys. So, how would it display on the screen?
I have a Favorites List: Longmont.
Then my system name (DTRS)
Then the departments are broken down (police, fire, ect) with quick keys.
Control channels in the area with quick keys

That way, I can use quick keys to turn on and off departments (I may not want to listen to state patrol, or city services all the time for example). If I use it the way it is now, it seems that the quick keys would not be as specific as I would like for "Departments" and would scan all of a City (as the departments) within a County.

I don't know how much info I need to leave for each entry, because I don't know what will display on the screen. Would "Longmont" show up on each line?

The new scanners look awesome, and other than the DTRS seem like it will be easy to customize.

natedawg1604

Premium Subscriber
Can someone provide a picture of how the State of Colorado DTRS looks on the display of the 536HP in a favorites list, or break it down so I don't include too much or exclude information for each entry?

I have been working on fine tuning the software for when I get mine. I am using the Sentinel software. One issue I have had is the State of Colorado DTRS. I have a good idea of how I want to set up each favorites list, but not sure how they will look on the display screen. I am making my own lists, because otherwise the department quick keys wouldn't work for departments, and it would scan every control channel (unless I lock each one out that I don't need). What I have been doing is making the favorites list for a county (or Longmont since I live here) and then breaking down the departments for use with quick keys. So, how would it display on the screen?

That way, I can use quick keys to turn on and off departments (I may not want to listen to state patrol, or city services all the time for example). If I use it the way it is now, it seems that the quick keys would not be as specific as I would like for "Departments" and would scan all of a City (as the departments) within a County.

I don't know how much info I need to leave for each entry, because I don't know what will display on the screen. Would "Longmont" show up on each line?

The new scanners look awesome, and other than the DTRS seem like it will be easy to customize.

That would be great info, I hope someone can post this as well.

You should be able to assign a single quick-key to a single site, that's how I program my 396XT. When I'm able to buy a new Uniden, I will probably have 30-40 quick-keys assigned to sites, and 50-60 quick-keys for "Departments" based on my own preferences. Anything involving DTRS is going to messy, especially given that scanner users don't have the benefit of dynamic site roaming, auto-recognition of CC frequencies based on metadata, etc. (unless you have a "homebrew scanner" made from a XTS-3000/5000, but let's not go there...)

Steve2003

I ended up breaking down "departments" from counties into specific agencies. This is something I have always wanted to do, and with the large display and memory options this is now possible! There are even some screenshots of the scanner in action with this setup.

Here is a quick PDF that explains how I programmed my 536HP. I am constantly fine-tuning the programming, but the combination of quick keys for sites and the department hold seems to work well for me (especially when counties are broken down into individual departments). It isn't the same as real radio that roams between sites, but the solution on page 4 has been working extremely well!

PDF File - How I Programmed my BCD536HP

nathancarlson

Very nice, Steve! Thanks! I will print that out and keep it with my stuff. I have even watched a ton of videos on youtube, but yours makes it much easier to remember! The graphics were very helpful, also! I am anxious to get my hands on one. How many characters are available before cutting off the channel name?

captaincraig44

Premium Subscriber
Sorry about that, I have my acrobat settings locked down for some of the work stuff I do. Here is a copy you can print:
BCDx36HP Programming Layout

I got my 436 just over a week ago. It's been quite a learning curve, especially after having been on the sidelines of monitoring for the past few years (PSR-500, three kids under four and lots of changes to the local radio systems with zero time to keep up on it all). Your layout guide was a great help and with some ideas gleaned from it, I have really found the potential of this radio, especially on the state system, when you utilize site quick keys among other things. I think I have a pretty good setup going. Just wanted to say "Thanks" and make myself known as another x36 user in the area.

Craig

Steve2003

I got my 436 just over a week ago. It's been quite a learning curve, especially after having been on the sidelines of monitoring for the past few years (PSR-500, three kids under four and lots of changes to the local radio systems with zero time to keep up on it all). Your layout guide was a great help and with some ideas gleaned from it, I have really found the potential of this radio, especially on the state system, when you utilize site quick keys among other things. I think I have a pretty good setup going. Just wanted to say "Thanks" and make myself known as another x36 user in the area.

Craig

Welcome back to the hobby! Glad the layout helped you out, feel free to shoot me a PM if you ever have any programming questions.

bwilborn

Just picked up a 436 and wow is it different. Need some time to wrap my head around this beast as it's quite a bit different than the 396.

Status
Not open for further replies.