Any Departments That Ended Encryption or Reversed Decision To Encrypt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anime

Photojournalist
Premium Subscriber
I've search for this answer everywhere with little to no success. But can anybody name any agencies that either went fully encrypted then later decided/was forced to go unencrypted again? Or even agencies that have said they will never encrypt (dispatch) traffic? A few that I've heard of was New Haven PD, New Orleans PD, Spokane PD, Naugatuck PD, Mansfield PD(turned off) and supposedly other agencies. I believe I heard of one that announced it would do the same after a mass shooting or something. I'm trying to complie a list for future use at city meetings around the area, that's why I'm asking.

mikegilbert

MHz so good
Orange County Fire Authority (California) encrypted their fire and EMS talkgroups, but have pledged to roll back encryption 'eventually.'

RobKB1FJR

Premium Subscriber
I've search for this answer everywhere with little to no success. But can anybody name any agencies that either went fully encrypted then later decided/was forced to go unencrypted again? Or even agencies that have said they will never encrypt (dispatch) traffic? A few that I've heard of was New Haven PD, New Orleans PD, Spokane PD, Naugatuck PD, Mansfield PD(turned off) and supposedly other agencies. I believe I heard of one that announced it would do the same after a mass shooting or something. I'm trying to complie a list for future use at city meetings around the area, that's why I'm asking.

It seems in transparent areas depending on the city espically in Massachusetts are in the clear. The only PD I can think that is in Massachusetts ENC is Lawrence, Springfield, and Haverhill on UHF (which claimed going ENC would allow interoperability with New Hampshire, but most of NH is on VHF high). Of course this could have changed. I also wonder if Radio Technicians assigned to these systems just Set ENC for random or everyone when programming.

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
It seems in transparent areas depending on the city espically in Massachusetts are in the clear. The only PD I can think that is in Massachusetts ENC is Lawrence, Springfield, and Haverhill on UHF (which claimed going ENC would allow interoperability with New Hampshire, but most of NH is on VHF high). Of course this could have changed. I also wonder if Radio Technicians assigned to these systems just Set ENC for random or everyone when programming.
If I remember right, when Mansfield Ma PD went from analog to digital they went encrypted, then a few years later went in the clear and still are. I'm not sure the reason why. Them and Easton both oddly went to analog 800mhz frequencies for a while (I think Mansfield was even a trunk system for the town, I forget) then went back to UHF. I think Easton said it was due to mutual aid issues, every other town bordering them is UHF. They kept and simulcast on their old UHF went they had the 800 channel.

Oh, and Holliston and Medway PDs are full time encrypted as well

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Two LE agencies in my county tested encrypted P25 TGIDs on my county's former Smartzone TRS for about a year or so before switching back to clear ops. A number of years later my county built a new Phase-II simulcast system and now all LE is encrypted :(

K9JLR

Locally here the Macomb, IL Police Department and the WIU (IL) Office of Public Safety went to a jointly encrypted DMR system in late 2014 on UHF. In the spring of 2017, they switched back to encryption for tactical-only TGs and all routine traffic for both agencies is now "in the clear."

This was a decision that was made based on two factors. The sheriff's department came online in 2017 with their own DMR UHF system and interoperability was an issue with encryption, plus they were finding audio issues with encryption that weren't problematic when encryption was not used, and (allegedly) coverage was worse in the southern part of the county when tests were done with transmissions encrypted versus without it.

W9WSS

Retired LEO
Premium Subscriber
Sometime during this year (2022), DuPage County Illinois law enforcement agencies dispatched by DU-COMM and ACDC will be deploying all new hand-held and mobiles, which will be encrypted 100% of the time on all talk groups. Just the fire agencies will be in the clear, but they will have access to the encrypted LE groups for interoperability. I'm certainly NOT looking forward to this change. Several polls were taken, and almost 100% of the police chiefs, the sheriff's office, and any other LE entities wanted it and they're getting it.
ACDC Logo 030321.pngDU-COMM Logo Large.jpg

kmartin

Premium Subscriber
Addison and Farmers branch PDs encryption went off for about 2 hours about 5 months ago
but went back to encryption i was able to record pd traffic and recall a conversation where
a dispatcher said comm is partially down contact dispatch by phone if needed
i only got around 9 recorded conversations in the clear in that 2 hours
not sure if this has happend before i was lucky enough to be visiting that area when it happened
and brought my scanner

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Premium Subscriber
Old story from 2016, not sure if the enc is still off or if it has been turned back on: Now hear this: Emergency agencies turn off radio encryption
Hah, Mansfield who I referenced in my post just prior to yours is referenced in that article-

"Police in Mansfield, Massachusetts, turned off their encryption more than a year ago after officers expressed concern they couldn't talk with counterparts in some neighboring towns"

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Orangeville Fire was encrypted at first when they switched from analog to P25. Several years later, they turned off the encryption. Not sure of the reason though.

dwh367

Ohio County, KY, went with a VHF NXDN system awhile back for "communications privacy" because there weren't any NXDN scanners at the time. For whatever reason they're now back to using VHF analog again.

MStep

Orangeville Fire was encrypted at first when they switched from analog to P25. Several years later, they turned off the encryption. Not sure of the reason though.

I always suspect that off-duty members and their families were not happy that they could no longer monitor their department's activities. And although it's more "old school", I know many family members of firefighters always keep an ear on the radio when their sons/daughters, and significant others are working. Also seems to be more prevalent in the firefighter community than with the police.

INDaviation

Custom title goes here
Premium Subscriber
When Terre Haute Police decided to implement encryption they kept dispatch open, but they were dispatching on a tac channel. They went back to using the dispatch TG when other agencies couldn't communicate with them

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
I can understand some reasons for police to encrypt in their line of work, but whats a justification for a fire department to be encrypted? I can't seem to grasp the reason why a chief instructing his guys on the ground is sensitive information. I'd think a fire department is the least of any emergency service trying to keep a low profile literally making a scene wherever they go

MStep

I can understand some reasons for police to encrypt in their line of work, but whats a justification for a fire department to be encrypted? I can't seem to grasp the reason why a chief instructing his guys on the ground is sensitive information. I'd think a fire department is the least of any emergency service trying to keep a low profile literally making a scene wherever they go

That has also puzzled and baffled me for years. In NYC, prior to cell phone usage, when the unit on the scene wanted to transmit sensitive information, he would request "Mixer Off". This practice is still S.O.P. for the FDNY. This would turn off the audio mixer that combined the dispatch and mobile channels so that other units in the field (and civilians and buffs) could not hear the mobile message being transmitted. Of course, the very easy work around was just to monitor the mobile input frequency, but you generally had to be fairly close to the transmitting unit, depending on terrain and other conditions. Highly sensitive messages about severe injuries and others incidents go via cell phone.

My best guess is that, at least for the fire departments, they are just playing "follow the leader" and keeping instep with what the PD does. Others have mentioned commercialized incentives to sell more digital radios.

Also see my message #14 in this thread. It's not just off-duty members, buffs, family members, and others that would be impacted, but also consider the affect on the press services that constantly monitor key NYC police, fire and ems frequencies for information to disperse to the public. And many official agencies would not be able to monitor their counterparts in the other services, and that is another key reason the change has not been made.

As New York City goes, so goes the rest of the nation, so the theory holds. The FDNY's operations are emulated by Fire Departments around the world. Fortunately, thus far we have not only been able to avoid encryption, but even digital communications in the public services. I will not repeat the incident(s) many years ago when the FDNY attempted digital handie-talkie operation because it continues to stir up controversy every time I mention it, but they quickly reverted to analog. That information remains here, buried among the many wonderful threads, here on Radio Reference.

Last edited:

srpierre

Premium Subscriber
In my city in California the police dispatcher went encrypted 3 weeks ago but the mobiles are not. Cause of "privacy" issues. They do not want the "private/sensitive" information being public when an officer runs someone name.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
In my city in California the police dispatcher went encrypted 3 weeks ago but the mobiles are not. Cause of "privacy" issues. They do not want the "private/sensitive" information being public when an officer runs someone name.
So the mobile transmits the name or address or DOB or license number/license plate in the clear and the dispatcher who answers the return of expired, suspended, warrant, order of protection, or valid with nothing at all, is sensitive information?

Reactions: fog
Status
Not open for further replies.