Any Good Analog Scanning Left in the Charlotte Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneBadUukha

Hi:

I live on the west coast. I'd like to get a scanner for my dad, who lives in Fort Mill. He's just starting out, so I want to get him an analog scanner such as a Uniden BCT15X for monitoring conventional analog systems. I know a lot of public safety organizations in the Charlotte Metro area run off P25 or otherwise digital systems. Can anyone say if he would be able to pick up meaningful scanner traffic with an analog scanner? Thanks.

kc4jgc

Unless he's interested in amateur radio or using the scanner as a weather alert radio, an analog scanner will be useless. Even York County SC (where Ft. Mill is located) is on a P25 system; neighboring Lancaster County SC is on the Palmetto P25 network. Don't waste your money on an analog only scanner.

spacellamaman

just a thought, but if the concern is making it easy for someone new to the hobby, a digital trunking scanner is not a heck of a lot more difficult to use than an analog one. my experience was periodic, casual usage of a 20 channel vhf/uhf scanner for 10 years, then a jump straight into a bc346xt. i am not a complete moron when it comes to computers/electronics (though i am trying), but it took a long time before i felt i had mastery over it. your better bet might be to go with a bank-based scanner like the bc125 (i highly recommend due to the mil-air/price point aspect) or the bc75. much more straight forward programming and operation, and less chance of becoming disenchanted by the steep learning curve of of trunking scanners.

otherwise a bunch of spare time, which most people don't have, is generally required to get the hang of things. i convinced a buddy who is faaar more into computers/electronics etc to get the same bc346xt and due to the aforementioned problems and only moderate motivation, still utilizes it very sparingly due to not yet having had time to get the hang of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.