Any good Android phone apps for scanning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John_S

I searched a bit on here and only found pro/con discussion and I understand these, but I want to be able to do some monitoring in an area that has terrible scanner reception. I'm really looking at upgrading my phone and am really tempted by some of the mid priced Android phones. I realize the apps are area limited like the Live Audio streaming from this site and only as good as the feeds, so it's a shot in the dark. But you never know if you don't ask. Thanks in advance.

ecps92

First question would be

a.) Is what you want to listen to [terrible scanner reception] actually on a live feed.

2nd Question/comment is

b.) Watch your Dataplan when you do go with a Smart-Phone

I searched a bit on here and only found pro/con discussion and I understand these, but I want to be able to do some monitoring in an area that has terrible scanner reception. I'm really looking at upgrading my phone and am really tempted by some of the mid priced Android phones. I realize the apps are area limited like the Live Audio streaming from this site and only as good as the feeds, so it's a shot in the dark. But you never know if you don't ask. Thanks in advance.

BeerNutz

Premium Subscriber
With many radios I hardly ever do this but I bookmarked the Live Audio page from RR I wanted. No APP needed.

Mid priced Android phone? I downgraded to the LG Optimus V from the latest gee-whiz smartphone. Can do everything I want with much better battery life. Unlimited data on Virgin Mobile IF you can get a signal from Sprint. CAUTION: Virgin Mobile uses Sprint towers but does not roam on other CDMA towers outside the Sprint network.. For $25 a month, strong signal and no contract, it works for me..

John_S

Thanks guys...

Actually that's close to what I was looking at...Virgin Mobile and the LG Optimus Slider with unlimited on talk, text, and data...so the data restriction wouldn't be a problem. I'm looking for coverage of central Saratoga County sheriffs in particular. I work in the basement of a larger building and can get city PO and our security dept. OK, but the building structure plus RF interference from many pc's just kills most everything else. We get occasional seat time between ongoing jobs and it's good to know what's going on around you while you're stuck inside. Using the streaming from this site is a thought. I guess with these kinds of phones, there's more than one way to get'r done. It would be good to know about peoples experiences with using apps and which ones work best. That might be a very good thread or topic on here...hint, hint to the moderators.

SlyFerret

I bought scanner radio pro in the android market. I don't use it a whole lot, but it is nice to know that I have a way to bring up the local weather net if I'm away from my radios (its rare, but it happens).

-SF

Status
Not open for further replies.