Any good frequencies to listen to for the United Nations General Assembly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BK87

Isn’t all interesting stuff encrypted; I’d be very surprised if it weren’t, especially for feds in town now.

nd5y

I have heard occasional clear traffic on local trunked systems and federal agency conventional repeaters that are supposedly strapped encrypted.
In some cases if the keys are expired or invalid or something then the radio reverts to clear transmissions. I don't know exactly how it works.

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Unless something major happens, there's no use going out of your way to listen to the Feds for something like UNGA.

And even if it does happen, you'll certainly get wind of it from the regular NYPD frequencies anyway.

Maybe even more so.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
If their is an issue with an old keyset in the radio, USSS will key load the radio before you go out on your post. Otherwise, the user won’t hear jack on his/her post if their radio doesn’t have the current keyset being used. The channels are strapped.

MrColad

If you're referring to the actual General Assembly Room communications they podcast it with a delay, I don't think you meant that though. As for the actual NYC UN Safety and Security officers frequencies I have no idea and a Google search came up empty. All the Federal alphabet agencies have a command center in a nearby hotel and I would presume all their com's are encrypted. Your best chance would be NYPD CTW-1 and 3, Midtown North and it's associated Tac frequencies. On a secondary basis try FDNY Manhattan and CTW-1. FDNY-EMS Manhattan and CTW-1. Don't forget NYSP who may still be on METRO-25. All the frequencies should be in the NYC database. I hope this helped.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Ok, but I’m telling you the radios are strapped to encryption. So here is what happens when a radio is strapped....if you select the channel where the key has been erased, you will get 6 quick beeps and “key fail” will display across the screen. You cannot transit. The centric switch is disabled and will not allow a clear transmission. The only way to transmit is to select an alternate key (if that option was programmed in CPS) that is current in the radio, such as an interop key. Again, you will not be able to transmit if it’s strapped to a particular key only. And even if it’s not strapped, and encryption is user selectable, the radios are programmed to sound (make a beep) upon a clear TX. So on a channel not strapped to ENC, if the user was to accidentally bump the centric switch, he would hear a beep as soon as he keys the mic and know he’s in the clear. I’ll leave it at that since there are those that tend to know more.

rufus-7

I just picked up ENC traffic on the following freqs, 408.300 nac 447,170.9875 nac611 and 171.9625 nac611. The two vhf nets seem to be linked together.

Tank67

Anyone picking anything up on 166.8875 PL103.5? That used to be a UN security frequency.

Yup I was picking things up for the past two days on there. You’ll have to be close or you will likely have a difficult time hearing it however.

fmoore

Hi all!
I ran across the following official album from the US Embassy in Ottawa, Canada that might give you all some hints or further information on the gathering. You can also access this link via searching for the Embassy's FB page and it is in their feed.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
No one would know, unless they tried to listen. Too many NAY sayers who jump to it is all ENC, nothing to listen to.
The radios are strapped. Care to elaborate how its going to magically come across in the clear ?

You know 100% for certain that all radios in use at the UN site are strapped to encryption? Every security detail from every country, every member of building security, all of the vehicle operations, hot dog vendors, etc.? The point is that searching can have some interesting things pop up. Dismissing a person that is looking for info on where to search by generalizing the presence of encryption does not help the hobby.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Funny story, I was in Miami for some business and happened to have my Systems Saber in my hands as I walked into my hotel next to the airport. Some federal agency was using the side lobby as a location to load keys into radios, and various agents in suits were lining up. One of the techs asked if I needed my radio reloaded. I told him I was fine and kept walking!

Status
Not open for further replies.