Any gre scanners in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quint6

Any new Gre scanners coming in the future ?

psr800 base unit ?
Updated 500 or 600 in black color would be awesome ?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I'd like to see what I am calling the PSR-510. That would be the PSR-500 with the updated display (and narrowbanding).

Swipesy

I would be happy with a PSR800 with the PSR500 keypad. That kind of radio from GRE would fill the wants of those PSR500 owners who have not made the jump to the 800.

Mojaveflyer

Premium Subscriber
New GRE Radios?

In addition to the above, I would really like to see a 'line out' plug to allow a separate line for recording off of the PSR 410 & 600. Much like the Radio shack 2006 had... A better filter so I don't have to use a FM trap in the antenna line would be nice as well.

jlanfn

California Database Admin
I'd like to see what I am calling the PSR-510. That would be the PSR-500 with the updated display (and narrowbanding).
...and does a much better job decoding CQPSK, and can track X2 and P25 Phase II TDMA. :cool:

Maybe I should stop before this becomes yet another laundry list.

Arizona_Scanner

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I would love to see a base version of the 800 with more keys...that would be sweet. There are certain aspects of the menu navigation that I do like on my 800.

Highpockets

Lets keep the 600 like it is, keep the 800 features to the 800 and come out with a new version of the 600 with new features, upgrades, screen and additions with a better, sturdier case.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Lets keep the 600 like it is, keep the 800 features to the 800 and come out with a new version of the 600 with new features, upgrades, screen and additions with a better, sturdier case.

I'm with you 100% on that! From what I understand, it 's going to happen too! When the PSR310 first came out, I called GRE to inquire about something. I wanted to know, at that time, why they rocker switch in the advertised picture was black, yet the production one was white. That's all in the past now, as I said, it was when the 310 had just come out. Anyway, I complimented them on the wonderful new display. I asked them if there were any plans to come out with a digital version of the 310 with the same lovely display. The response I got was that they were aware that the PSR-500/600 were showing their age and that updated versions would be coming out but for now (at that time) they were concentrating on the PSR 800. No time frame was even suggested, just that it would happen. So, maybe in the near future we will hear of the plans for the replacement of the PSR-500/600 scanners.

Manny

Last edited:

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
I'm all for a 510 and 610 model. I'm not really interested in an EZ-Scan base as it's currency configured in the handheld. The keypad is a must.

rfburns

Sort of? :confused: What do you mean by that?
As far as I know, the 500/600 does not have a narowband crystal filter in the IF. They just compensate for lower audio recovery when you switch to NFM. I'd be glad to pay for a narrower bandwidth and gain a better signal to noise ratio and have some good sounding NFM audio.

It's been about 40 years since the Regency TMR-8H scanner came out and you could buy a narrower Murata IF filter for those. Replace the filter and the 2 chokes that came with the kit and you had a much better scanner, much less prone to interference. You could install the same kit into a Regency TMR-8U, but the cheap channel crystals drifted so much that even with stock AFC couldn't keep it close enough to frequency so I switched back to the stock Murata IF filter.

N8DRC

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID X2 Build/4.5.1A-DTN-150-30) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Swipesy said:
I would be happy with a PSR800 with the PSR500 keypad. That kind of radio from GRE would fill the wants of those PSR500 owners who have not made the jump to the 800.

I was the same way wanted nothing to do with the 800 because of no keypad. I decided to buy one and since then I have not turned on my psr-500 or my pro-106 and those were my favorites, I love the 800. I would want a keypad on the base unit though.

Last edited:

edkt4hr

nexedge

i would like to see nexedge put in the radio a lot of the nexedge radios are being sold due to them being half the price of p25 and can be updated to p25 for a extra 500 dollars

if you want a lineout just tap off the audio on the head phones inside of the radio

Last edited:

jimg

Premium Subscriber
I'll second that motion. I NEED one-touch scanlist switching for my scanning habits. Lack of keypad has been the big dealbreaker that causes me to mostly ignore the 800.

I agree; without the keypad I feel I have "lost control" over the scanner. What would be nice is to have a 500 with the capabilities of the 800 and a better, that is "clearer" display.

Mike_G_D

As far as I know, the 500/600 does not have a narowband crystal filter in the IF. They just compensate for lower audio recovery when you switch to NFM. I'd be glad to pay for a narrower bandwidth and gain a better signal to noise ratio and have some good sounding NFM audio.

It's been about 40 years since the Regency TMR-8H scanner came out and you could buy a narrower Murata IF filter for those. Replace the filter and the 2 chokes that came with the kit and you had a much better scanner, much less prone to interference. You could install the same kit into a Regency TMR-8U, but the cheap channel crystals drifted so much that even with stock AFC couldn't keep it close enough to frequency so I switched back to the stock Murata IF filter.

Incorrect, I have verified to my satisfaction (I have a background in RF electronics testing and design) that the GRE 500/600 series and the newer 310/410 series DO switch in a narrower IF filter when the NFM mode is selected. They, however, DO NOT compensate for the audio change when +/-2.5KHz deviation signals are detected. You must use the "audio boost" feature to manually compensate for the lower "loudness" of the narrower FM deviation. This is completely the opposite of what Uniden does with their BCT15 scanner and, I think, the rest of their current series (I only have the BCT15 to test myself). In Uniden's case, they do compensate for the narrower +/-2.5KHz deviation audio when in "narrow" mode but DO NOT switch in a narrower IF filter. Here, where I am, the CDF uses the newer 7.5KHz channels in the VHF-High band quite extensively. I can hear at least three different districts where I am and when multiple fire in multiple districts are being handled the Uniden is pretty much useless due to extensive IF adjacent channel interference (IF "bleedover") while the GRE units handle it much better when the NFM mode is selected.

Each brand, Uniden and GRE, seem to handle half the solution to the newer "narrowband" FM signals reception. Uniden deals with the audio compensation (either through adjustment of the FM discriminator circuitry or through post processing adjustment) but completely ignores the IF filter (just uses the same IF filter as the "normal" narrowband FM filter) while GRE does the opposite. Ideally, both sides should be addressed, of course, but, in my experience, where I am, if I am forced to choose one or the other, I'll take the tighter GRE NFM IF filter as it at least makes the reception usable.

I do still prefer the Uniden's front end design, however. Seems to be significantly better front end filtering and/or dynamic range than GRE's very poor design. Frankly, I seriously wish I could "Frankenstien" the Uniden front end with the GRE's back end IF section and add the Uniden's discriminator audio approach and make a decent final model in terms of the RF signal handling.

-Mike

TexScan780D

Premium Subscriber
I like to see GRE develop something like the Uniden's HomePatrol Extreme features for the PSR-500/600 and 800 and be able to view on a computer screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.