• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng any help with programming baofeng bf-f8hp hand held radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

WalterEKurtz

i have the programming cable to connect by usb to the radio. ive seen mentions about chirp and freescan but dont want to get started with one or the other systems just to find out i was doing it the hard way. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks for any help, mike.

WalterEKurtz

wow thats fast answer,, thanks, ive been into radios since i was a kid in the 70s with walkie -talkies but i just got cancer including amputation of right hand and the PAIN never ends so im stuck at home..thanks responding at all.

K4EET

Chaplain
No problem Walter. I am disabled as well in a wheelchair with a degenerative neuromuscular disorder. The folks here at Radio Reference are always willing to lend a hand when and where we can. I'm calling it a day and am going to hit the sack now. If you have any more questions, post them up and I'm sure that somebody will chime in with an answer. For now, I need some rest. Goodnight, my new friend. Dave

danesgs

Actually Walter if using a pencil with your other hand and having the Baofeng on a flat surface you could program it without an issue in VFO mode. The key to manually programming them is memorizing the most common menu numbers. Using Chirp is of course the BEST way to do things but in the filed its unlikely you would have a computer with you. Another issue I have found sometimes is the seating of the programming cable into the radio socket, it can be quirky, but once you learn the "sweet spot" its OK. My stepson had a hand that was an issue from birth but he never let it stop him from keeping on.

WalterEKurtz

thanks for the info .. ill hopefully see yall later,, i gotta lay down really tired ,,, thanks again for the info. from everyone. im sure ill be back asking more questions.

K4EET

Chaplain
thanks for the info .. ill hopefully see yall later,, i gotta lay down really tired ,,, thanks again for the info. from everyone. im sure ill be back asking more questions.
Good morning Walter. It's going to be a fantastic day! Ready when you are. What are you planning to program into your HT? Let us know if you need any help. I will update my version of Chirp in case you have any questions. Cheers! Dave

WalterEKurtz

ive got chirp up and running and im trying to create a group (folder they call it) of channels, my question is if the group is really small and the radio can hold 128 channels, do i enter 128 on the memory range in chirp programming or only the number of channels that ive actually entered for that folder?

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi @WalterEKurtz, since I was not sure how to answer your question, I held back in hopes that somebody else would respond. Seeing that nobody has since you last posted, I would guess that you would enter the actual number of channels that you have used. If you enter the maximum capacity of 128 for the first group/folder, then if you were to create another group/folder, there would be no numbers left to use for the new group/folder. Cheers! Dave

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
You should read the original data from the radio before you try to send new data to it. This is best practice for any two way radio programming.

K9RPL

The F8HP and UV5 type radios don't support folders or zones. You have a list of 128 channels, that's it.

The DMR based units like the DM-1801 do support Zones which I believe is what you're thinking of.

WalterEKurtz

Hi @WalterEKurtz, since I was not sure how to answer your question, I held back in hopes that somebody else would respond. Seeing that nobody has since you last posted, I would guess that you would enter the actual number of channels that you have used. If you enter the maximum capacity of 128 for the first group/folder, then if you were to create another group/folder, there would be no numbers left to use for the new group/folder. Cheers! Dave
thanks to everyone for your responses,
i created a short list but when i attempted to load it into the radio it would not recognize it. turned out to be the contacts in the radio where the cable plugged in. i sent it back and ordered a different model but it still uses the same 128 channel setup. when it shows up i'll plug in the cable first and make sure it's got a good link before creating a channel list.
thanks again to everyone. to be continued...

Status
Not open for further replies.