Any idea what is happening here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I can get one, and only one MPSCS control channel (A week of watching my Pro 106 seems to indicate that anyway. The system was imported from the RR database with WIN500) at work in Sylvania, Ohio, the Monroe Simulcast on 868.900. I've searched through the CC freqs and never hear more than a very weak (too weak to work) signal on any of the others in Monroe, Flat Rock, and Adrian. I put them in anyway. I hear med stuff from all over Southern Michigan, from several counties. I heard Ann Arbor medical, McComb county, several county 911 dispatchers, and Detroit area hospitals and addresses are mentioned all the time. It's pretty much full quieting, sounds better than MARCS and the Toledo system most of the time. I have both group and private wildcards set up. What I don't understand is how/why I receive very little police traffic on it most of the time, then suddenly, I hear all kinds of it. Then it's gone again. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to it, except the police traffic seems to be heavier in the later morning. I've listened to the Monroe county sheriff and city police for a long time, so I know they are talking a lot more than I'm hearing now, not to mention a lot of other stuff. Anyone got any idea what is going on? Thanks!

Clay320

I know the south part of Monroe County can be sketchy at times concerning signal strength, IIRC Bedford Fire occasionally has issues with their radios not catching traffic near the state line.

That may or may not be playing into your issues, I don't listen to the LEOs much so there might be something else going on there.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

That simulcast may not be a primary for law enforcement, but may be an overflow during peak call times. Just a thought.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

That simulcast may not be a primary for law enforcement, but may be an overflow during peak call times. Just a thought.

No, all users in Monroe Co use the Monroe Co simulcast all the time.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
That is part of the MPSCS Monroe County simulcast. That would indicate a programming error, as that's a trunked system so you should not see freq/tone.

jimbolie1

Premium Subscriber
That is part of the MPSCS Monroe County simulcast. That would indicate a programming error, as that's a trunked system so you should not see freq/tone.

Not sure i understand what you are saying,i do not pick it up on the Monroe County System i only program in CC.When i program it by it self as a single Freq the 106 reveals it as a P25:793.The traffic is nonstop.It is more active then the system.You tell me? Monitor it for 5 minutes and you will see what i am talking about.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
Yes you do pick it up when you program the Monroe County system. You don't have to program it in, the scanner knows after you enter the CC.

If it is more active than their system, you have it programmed wrong. Everything heard on that frequency in direct/conventional mode is also being heard on the Monroe County system with the CC programmed and the talkgroups correct.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Not sure i understand what you are saying,i do not pick it up on the Monroe County System i only program in CC.When i program it by it self as a single Freq the 106 reveals it as a P25:793.The traffic is nonstop.It is more active then the system.You tell me? Monitor it for 5 minutes and you will see what i am talking about.

Any frequency on that site will show a NAC of 793. As Rob is saying, 866.1125 is just a voice channel on that site. Listen to any of the non-control channels and you'll hear the same thing.

Monroe County Simulcast Site Details (Michigan Public Safety Communications System (MPSCS))

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I have the CC's for the Monroe Simulcast and any other CCs I think I might possibly be able to get loaded in the 106. I've been listening for a couple of hours at work tonight and it's pretty much been medical. I searched the CC's and the only one I can really get at all is 868.900. What I do get is pretty much rock solid, but as of almost 3 hours listening, all I've heard is medical traffic. Very odd. Just for grins, I took my PSR-500 and set up the system with only 868.900 as the sole control channel and it seems to work exactly the same as the 106 does with 25 CCs in it. Meds are interesting, but I would rather listen to the sheriff and police!

Last edited:

drdispatch

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
Premium Subscriber
Have you got the talkgroups programmed correctly?

I know that sounds dumb & obvious, but the troubleshooter in me was taught to eliminate the dumb & obvious stuff first, to avoid embarrasment & wasted time. (When something doesn't work & you've tried EVERYTHING you can think of, only to realize that the O-N / O-F-F switch was in the O-F-F position.....Or the power supply cord was not properly connected to the wall-mounted power interface.)

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.973 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Under KISS: make sure you have the TGs programmed.

A lot of Monroe LE is on 57P911.

Washtenaw sheriff and state police uses 81 Metro West, 81 Metro East, 81 Metro Cars and 81 Metro Events.

SCPD

QRT
I do all my Monroe County listening off the Flat Rock MSPSC control channel
I don't have Monroe's simulcast programmed in, yet hear Monroe LE and Fire all day long. Might be a thought to have the OP try the closest MSPSC CC and see if they get better luck.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
The ONLY CC I get is the Monroe 868.900 one. That's it. No others are better than barely detectable in NorthWestern Toledo/Sylvania, and they aren't nearly strong enough to actually work. I have wild cards set up, so I should hear everything. I have zero problems with MARCS, or anything else I want to listen to, if I can get a decent signal, it works fine. I tried reloading the system with WIN500 into my PSR-500 a little bit ago, and I get...medical. Side by side, it's working exactly the same as my 106 does. This is just odd.

SCPD

QRT
Let's get to the bottom of this

We gotta figure out what you’re doing wrong. First and foremost, it’s a simulcast system. If you got the scanner “open”, you should hear every user on the system, and anyone on MSPSC anywhere in and near Monroe County. All users would be the same signal strength. It’s an all or nothing thing, or am I missing something?

I went back and looked at the original post. Could you expand on the comment “I have both group and private wildcards set up”. I’m only familiar with Shack handhelds. What does that mean? Do you have portions of Monroe County inadvertently locked out?

The other interesting thing is that you are hearing LE in late morning. That tells me you are hearing the “errand runners” The administrative groups (code officers, mail runs, etc.) that start about 9am and work until 4 or maybe 5pm. Out on the radio after they eat breakfast on the clock.

And after looking at the Simulcast system, there’s a site in Ottawa Lake. What are you, two miles from the site? You are literally closer to Ottawa Lake than I am to Downriver’s closest site. And I can get Downriver with my rubber duckie off my scanner. Hmmm. I’m very confused about that.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
Wyandotte-

I get nothing on the other control channels, just 868.900. It's very strong, so it could be the Ottawa Lake site. This CC, wherever it is, is only detectable from about a mile or so South of here. It goes from almost nothing to five bars of signal in about a quarter of a mile. Since I'm using GRE radios, a PSR-500, and a Pro-106, I'm not sure what you are confused about. I have wildcards set up with WIN500, as I do on MARCS and the local Lucas County system. I have no problems with the other systems at all. I have nothing locked out that should cause this to be happening. My PSR-500 is set up with almost (Only stuff missing is UP and stuff so far away there's no chance of getting it at all) the entire MPSCS system, and it gets exactly the same things my 106 does with much less of the system (Only the SE MI area) enabled. I don't see anything that should be causing this. A friend came up far enough to get it on his 106 yesterday, and he got the same traffic I did. Since they weren't set up using even the same software (He uses PSRedit) it seems odd they would work exactly the same way. If there is anyone who is in the area who can send me their WIN500 file with this system on it, I would appreciate it, just to see what I get after loading it up.

rdale

Premium Subscriber
P911 should never have med traffic, that's the sheriff talk group. Maybe you're just too far away.

SCPD

QRT
Help me out

P911 should never have med traffic, that's the sheriff talk group. Maybe you're just too far away.

Rdale:

Help me out here.

Like he said in the last post, he's got a S9 signal on the control channel. He should. He could put an umbrella on top of the site and shade his patio. He should hear everyone on the simulcast, including P911 and the medical and the Maybee dog catcher loud and clear,

Am I looking at this wrong? How can he be close enough for med traffic, but too far away for LE and Fire?
I'm honestly not trying to start a flame, I want to know if I'm looking at this wrong,
How can this be anything other that an incorrect setting in his scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.