Any info on Trenton

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRIAN99

I know everyone is probably sick of this question but--Has anyone heard any rumors about Trento P,D. changing from vselp to APCO-25. I thought that they had to be apco 25 compliant by 2006. What happened?

I have 2 expensive digital scanners and I can not here my own Police Department.
Waiting waiting waiting
Brian

BRIAN99 said:
I know everyone is probably sick of this question but--Has anyone heard any rumors about Trento P,D. changing from vselp to APCO-25. I thought that they had to be apco 25 compliant by 2006.
Nobody has to be P25 by any time, unless they are using the 700 MHz interoperability channels. They can stay VSELP ASTRO indefinitely as long as they can piece equipment together. Problem is that Motorola will no longer support VSELP. New subscriber equipment (mobiles and portables) only come out with P25 and Type II SmartNet/ SmartZone retrocompatibility. Site firmware will only support newer modes.

So even though they're getting the squeeze play, there's nothing forcing them to change if everything still works.

Tech792

The dopot is still supporting VSELP mobiles. Just had one returned last week. And it was actually repaired correctly.

robbinsj2

I received word from someone at Trenton a few months ago that Motorola was supporting rebanding for VSELP, to allow Trenton and one or two other cities (Cleveland or Cincinnati or some other one in that region maybe?) to keep most or all of the equipment they have.

Frankly we may be better off -- if you really want to monitor them you should be able to acquire an old VSELP radio and have it programmed for them. Based on trends elsewhere (discussed in another thread), I would expect them to go encrypted if/when they switch to P-25, so there would be absolutely no options then.

Jim

ctrabs74

robbinsj2 said:
I received word from someone at Trenton a few months ago that Motorola was supporting rebanding for VSELP, to allow Trenton and one or two other cities (Cleveland or Cincinnati or some other one in that region maybe?) to keep most or all of the equipment they have.
Cleveland operates on VSLEP at present. Cincinnati-Hamilton County recently migrated to a Project 25 system.

Frankly we may be better off -- if you really want to monitor them you should be able to acquire an old VSELP radio and have it programmed for them. Based on trends elsewhere (discussed in another thread), I would expect them to go encrypted if/when they switch to P-25, so there would be absolutely no options then.
On the flip side, Memphis/Shelby County, Tenn. recently switched from VSLEP to Motorola mixed-mode Analog/P25, and digital TGs are, for the most part, clear (with a few surveilance TGs encrypted). That said, I don't see how one not involved with Trenton Public Safety would be able to get a VSLEP radio programmed (unless I'm missing something here).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.