Any interest in a COVID-19 page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
Let me begin my saying that I am brand new to creating my own pages on the Wiki and usually stick to editing and cleaning up pages already made.

Do you think it is feasible or even worth creating a wiki page dedicated to the US response to COVID-19?
If not totally fine.​
If so, I could use all the help. My rationale is that this can aid in reducing the number of questions asked on the form and put together lots of information.​

- Firebal

ab5r

Your intentions are probably good, but people are interested primarily in what is happening LOCALLY. I doubt that you or anyone coulld accomplish that.

firebal

Premium Subscriber
No

It's RADIO Reference
absolutely not, covid 19 has nothing to do with radio.

Please know I was only trying to consulate radio frequency's used for the national response to the disaster. Not to discuss the virus itself.

Your intentions are probably good, but people are interested primarily in what is happening LOCALLY. I doubt that you or anyone coulld accomplish that.

Understood. Thank you! More what I was thinking however just wanted to put the question out there.

ad5kl

Premium Subscriber
Probably not much broadcast "in the clear" because of HIPAA privacy rules. I haven't heard any discussions about it in my everyday scanning.

I like your idea, but there won't be many specifics to actually hear on the air.

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Probably not much broadcast "in the clear" because of HIPAA privacy rules. I haven't heard any discussions about it in my everyday scanning.

I like your idea, but there won't be many specifics to actually hear on the air.

HIPAA only applies to protected info about the patient (names and such). It has nothing to do with the medical needs of said patient.

maus92

Premium Subscriber

It depends on the jurisdiction. In my county, there are explicit over-the-air dispatch procedures when responding to PUIs (which is the CDC term used for suspected COVID-19 infection,) but no personal data is ever mentioned as it is protected as well as irrelevant. For a sense of scale, our county has 845 confirmed cases, the county to the west has 2,516 confirmed cases, and the city/county to the north has 2,545 confirmed cases. We run mutual aid to both, so there is considerable radio traffic wrt management of these cases.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
If there was a consolidated national radio communications response to the COVID-19 virus, then I could see having a Wiki article to consolidate that information. But, to the best of my knowledge, this event has resulted in no nationwide radio communications issues. Yes, Internet and cellphone resources are stressed, but that's not something we can typically monitor. Yes, there local radio communications issues as various agencies shape their communications methods and protocols to local emergency response, but that's a local issue more suited to the localized Wiki articles or forums.

As for a general info COVID-19 Wiki article, I don't see the point. There are many other useful sources of information about the virus.

Finally, let's not have another HIPAA debate.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
Around some neck of the woods it is being referred to over air as "1048- possible BUI" lol

Most of the frequencies are listed in federal and other nationwide or local talkgroups etc.

Most talk is done in person and not really over air unless you're near one of the love boats parked in port.

Federal from what I know with the cache of FEMA stuff handed out the uhf low are all strapped including the first set of channels the db here says is clear.

ecps92

Nothing wrong with a Wiki for a major event [already a few of them - listed below] however
efforts might be best spent, on updating much of the Local/Regional Data in the DB

IMHO, so far there is nothing new for radio use, that was not already in Dept Radios
just not found/reported to the RRDB's, with the few noted FCC STA exceptions [NYFD] that
were just issued.

Based on many a large scale events, I have monitored or been involved in, the info is already there
in department radios, but is silent till the Big One occurs, or even the little forgotten daily mutual aid
channels that many departments use for BOLO's, etc

Regional examples are
BAPERN, NEMLEC, Metro Fire, ComIRS, County Dispatch systems.

All well documented in the RRDB - thanks to user contribution and the DB Editors

Let me begin my saying that I am brand new to creating my own pages on the Wiki and usually stick to editing and cleaning up pages already made.

Do you think it is feasible or even worth creating a wiki page dedicated to the US response to COVID-19?
If not totally fine.​
If so, I could use all the help. My rationale is that this can aid in reducing the number of questions asked on the form and put together lots of information.​

- Firebal

Status
Not open for further replies.