Any interesting HEAT related calls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bentley

Has anyone heard any emergency calls due to the recent heat wave?

We've had a pretty high number of first aid calls here in NJ...heat exhaustion, heat stroke, etc. Also, we have been experiencing lots of "brown outs" due to the unusually high demand on the power companies from all the a/c units running. So, tons of burgaler & fire alarm activations, some elderly people being brought to shelters.

Thats about it...thus far!!

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
I have Troopers at a road buckle right now...that count? The interstate they are on is concrete, and two slabs expanded and rose about 1 foot at the expansion joint. Even with them there, they reported several near misses...with their cruisers, fusee's and bright pink spraypaint trying to direct attention to the problem.

pinetree

Local elderly man (over 80) taken to Hosp. Turned his AC off last night because he couldnt afford the NEW high rates of our electric co. up 50% from last year. House was over 100 degrees inside. Did not hear if he made it.

jmp883

Picked up the phone and had a caller ask when the power in her section of town would be back on. Told her to call the power company. Her reply: "Why would I call the power company, they have nothing to do with my power being out."

I couldn't answer her........I transferred her to my supervisor. :confused:

SCPD

QRT
Had 3 people die lately here in Phoenix. Quite a bit of heat realated calls dispatched all throughout the day..

-Dylan

pfish

Premium Subscriber
There have been over 140 deaths caused by the heat in California alone. There have been plenty of calls for service regarding these, and similar issues.

Rico8458

heard yesterday early evening ON NYC NYPD Staten Island, 122-123 Precients, call for man , "Jumper" on the Veranzano Narrows Bridge, maybe he could not take the heat any longer...lol.

Last week in the OKC metro, during a heat wave that pushed temps into the 110's, a section of I-44 buckled.

Still seeing an increase in heat-related deaths during this second week of 100+ temps.

Thayne

It killed the 25KVA transformer on the pole behind my house. It was a grisly death scene, with fluids everywhere.

As with all deaths, there is a bright side--now there is a shiny new 50KVA transformer living on that pole :)

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi guys,

"Also, we have been experiencing lots of "brown outs" due to the unusually high demand on the power companies from all the a/c units running."

Not from what >I've< been hearing in Ocean County NJ, JCP&L has been reducing by 3% at peak time which is hardly a brownout, that's the 6% maximum reduction as a last resort. (The RCA WV-120A expanded scale RMS voltmeter tells the tale.) We've been experiencing blackouts due to equipment failure similar to those in Queens NYC which have been all over the news for a week and a half. Underground equipment can't dissapate heat, with the exception of Jenkinson's Pavillion in Point losing a phase all failures so far have been underground.

"Picked up the phone and had a caller ask when the power in her section of town would be back on. Told her to call the power company. Her reply: "Why would I call the power company, they have nothing to do with my power being out."

Hmmm, the poster gives his location as "Northern NJ" when I heard the Lakewood (CNJ) supervisor mention the exact same thing yesterday. The tone of voice was more telling than a ten code description of the caller. (;->)

"Had 3 people die lately here in Phoenix. Quite a bit of heat realated calls dispatched all throughout the day."

Aw hell, Phoenix is hot in DECEMBER! (;->)

Well folks, it's hotter than the devi'ls tail here at the Jersey shore, the unofficial temperature stated by a bridge tender yesterday was 110, no wonder the bridges are stuck. It's expected to peak today and tomorrow and Friday should bring some relief when the Jet Stream releases the high that's stuck over the East and that hot westerly flow abates. Meanwhile I'm hearing all the expected heat related ambulance calls and I sure pity the firemen who have to respond in that heavy turnout gear. Yesterday we had two big ones with lots of mutual aid from a wide area that lasted all day and a smaller one that called them out again around noon today. I'm half expecting them to hold an impromptu wet down, they sure deserve one.

One final note, the lifeguards are more amusing than usual. When one spots a beaver and another isn't interested in chasing tail you know it's HOT! (;->)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.