Any Lake Co. members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gd9704

I'm a Lake Co. resident who does alot of work in Cuyahoga county. I've been out of scanning for a few years, and according to the database it looks like a digital trunking scanner will be a must if I want to get back into the hobby....

If there are any Lake Co. guys or gals out there, please tell me what gear you you and how you like it!

Thanks!!

Greg

tobarger

I live in the city of Euclid which is right down the street from Lake County.
I sometimes monitor Lake County (digital trunked system) with a GRE PSR-500 and have no problems.
You'll need a digital trunking scanner for both Lake and Cuyahoga Counties.
Unfortunately, the city of Cleveland (where most of the action is) can not be monitored by any scanner on the market.

Last edited:

T-Santon

Having grown up in Lake County, it's definitely my favorite system to monitor...

I use a Radioshack Pro-96 to monitor it (bought it used off Ebay for $300). It's an older version (CPU-1.1), and it has it's issues...but overall, it does a pretty good job.

As for Cuyahoga County...If you just plan on monitoring the East Side, just about any scanner after 1990 will do (no trunked systems in the eastern suburbs). But the westside is a much different story.

Also, Geauga County has an analog trunked system that comes in pretty strong all over Lake and Eastern Cuyahoga Counties...However, they'll be going digital within the next few years too. And living in Lake County, you'll also want to get any Coast Guard Frequencies that you can find.

And one last thing...If you plan on buying a new radio, I would go with the PSR-500. It's the predecessor of the Pro-96, and it's the same price...That's definitely going to be my next purchase.

Last edited:

kc8rak

Hello from anouther lake county member. I have had a Pro 96 for 4 years or so. I listen to the Lake and Geauga trunked systems. Also Marcs had plenty of traffic.

John.

N8IAA

I use a Radioshack Pro-96 to monitor it (bought it used off Ebay for $300). It's an older version (CPU-1.1), and it has it's issues...but overall, it does a pretty good job.

Have you gone to thte Radio Shack website and downloaded the newer CPU versions to make the radio perform better? The last-1.4-makes it easier to hear MARCS and other systems much better.
Larry

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
You can not update the CPU of the Pro-96 with software updates. It is the DSP that is upgradeable by download from Radio Shack's website.

jasonk

Feed Provider
Lake County Scanner Feed

Hello there Lake County folks ..... I have a person in Northern Ohio that would like to listen to Lake County. They have a Digital Scanner, but cant pick up the signal from their location. They have contacted us at http://www.scanmiamivalley.com to see if we could Stream Lake County Fire/EMS .... They will send the Digital Scanner to a lake County contact for Streaming on our website.

So - If you wouldn't mind streaming the feed for us, we can send you a Digital Scanner to use. The actual streaming encoder is simple to set up with no maintenance needed. it uses very little resources and you dont even notice it. You can toggle the audio on and off as needed ......

Pretty straight forward ......hopefully someone may have some interest. The rest of Ohio would like to listen to Lake County ......Thank s ......

Jason Kinley, Owner
Miami Valley Breaking News

SCPD

QRT
Lake County comes in loud and clear on a BC296D. You will need an APCO capable scanner. I lived there a couple of years ago and had the system/ talkgroups down pretty good. There is a new Bearcat scanner that replaced the BC296D and it is supposed to be very good as well.

Tom.

gd9704

My new PSR-500 arrived yesterday, and I've been enjoying being back "on the air" again! Even my wife is now addicted to listening to it. Thanks for the input, and hope to make some friends here in the Ohio RDF.

Status
Not open for further replies.