any Law enforcement still using Low band

Status
Not open for further replies.

millrad

Premium Subscriber
In Connecticut, two local PDs are still using low band in the 39 MHz range, and State DOT (CONDOT) uses a number of channels in the 47 MHz band for highway trucks.

com501

City of San Francisco Police have kept their old VHF Low system to back up the 800MHz system. Not sure how much it gets used, but they still have the mobiles and 1/4 wave whips on the cars.

Not PD, but California Department of Transportation (Highway department) still uses some low band, although they have extensive 800MHz coverage.

Last I checked less than a year ago, there is a monthly check on the system, and the last really active use was during the Loma Prieta earthquake, although OES still drills occasionally with those giant hard suction lines that they have for laying across the bridges in case of water failure in SF and major fires. They use the lowband for direct comms for that.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Ohio, Kentucky, WV, Tennessee = Still has Law Enforcement and some Fire agencies on low band.

Low band still has its use.

I know it can still be used, and rebroadcasted on VHF - High band ; OR it could be at one time...as I witnessed it myself ( ??? FCC approval ). Talking on Low band and rebroadcasting of VHF- High was the best of both worlds. You had low band propagation, and the point to point rebroadcast luxuries on VHF-High. There was no incidences of "I cannot hear you" when it came to radio communications.

A lot of State Law Enforcement agencies still had low band, it is just a matter of checking licenses. I at one time years ago, while having the scanner in "Search mode" (searching low band ).....logged the California Highway Patrol...of a night...from a living room chair here in Appalachia. From the west coast to **near** the Ohio River Valley. Yes...radio signals....like sound..... travels farther of a night than of a day time.

I read a month or so ago, there is a search and rescue unit that still uses low band.

Low band will never die, and as reported many years before...I seriously doubt it will be deregulated.

If you take the time, and have the patience - you can punch low band into some models of scanners and search "Low band". Do it in increments such as from 30 to 32 and 39 to 42...and so forth. Just make yourself aware of "Birdies" when using a scanner to search radio bands, and be prepared to punch the "Scan" button a few times....due to "Birdies".

Before the change of television from analog to digital....I use to listen to the morning news broadcast from a local television station - at work - on low band ( 44 MHz ----- ? Image? ). And I am a good ways off from the television station I listened to. A good ways off - SOOOOOO, low band is enjoying to listen to.

Hope this helps ------> http://www.911dispatch.com/info/radio_spec.html

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:

ff-medic

Banned
In Connecticut, two local PDs are still using low band in the 39 MHz range, and State DOT (CONDOT) uses a number of channels in the 47 MHz band for highway trucks.

47 Mhz is quite common with D.O.T trucks ( Salt trucks - road maintenance ) and D.O.T Enforcement folks.

A few states do a broadcast at regular intervals for weather, and other information.

FF - Medic !!!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Is LOS Angles City Fire still on the old 33.820 Low band VHF? I used to hear "OCD" on 33.820 all the time when vhf low band skip was rolling into Central Indiana. Can anyone advise?
LA City Fire no longer uses 33Mhz. They are on 800Mhz, but have an exemption from trunking. Thirty plus years ago I was on a Seattle fire boat which had a 33Mz radio. I remarked to the captain that his radio was on an LAFD freq. He said, "Yeah, I know - we talk to them sometimes." Solar conditions have not favored that kind of skip in the last couple of cycles. Also, there is a trend toward lower power transmitters which limits skip. CHP will stay on low band for a long time.

tenthirtyone

Maryland State Police

The MSP at least in the west (mountains) will be on low band for a loooong time. The "new" statewide 700 system requires many, many tower sites in the mountains for even "vehicle mobile" radio power coverage, much less portables. The rumor is the central/eastern State (non-mountain) can have 90% out of building portable coverage with 9 or so sites. The two western most counties require 23+ sites for the same coverage. I shudder to think the cost for the site, transmitter, link, etc. The bat wing sure likes the thought of it I'm sure.

ff-medic

Banned
The MSP at least in the west (mountains) will be on low band for a loooong time. The "new" statewide 700 system requires many, many tower sites in the mountains for even "vehicle mobile" radio power coverage, much less portables. , link, etc.

Ahhh yes. The benefits of 700 and 800 MHZ. Everyone wants to jump on the new allocated 700 mhz system.....probable because it is a "New" thing. And most everyone wants to upgrade to 800 MHZ from VHF - Highband.

VHF High and UHF band ( 400 Mhz ) agencys have the life. A great radio system, the don't have to worry about their radio sugnal bouncing off of a tree leaf or a building, and they don't ahve to worry about cluttering up hills with alot of towers. And with the money they save in NOT putting up alot of 800 MHZ towers...they can put part of that savings in good quality mobiles and portables.

800 MHZ has its places in the U.S that it is really great for, and beneficial to Public Safety. Then also......it has its places it should not even be considered.

FF - Medic !!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.