Any luck on longwave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majoco

Stirrer
Any of you guys had an luck on longwave? France Inter on Allouis 162kHz should be giving you guys a reasoanble signal at dawn and dusk as it pokes out 2Megawatts during the day and 1MW at night. There are other LW stations too with 2MW. I'm going to have a listen at 0600z which is right on the gray line for me to Europe.

ridgescan

Well, I never got anything but beacons, a few of them from deep into Canada-never did score a BC down there. I never tried in my dawn though-I might.

SCPD

QRT
I caught the LW broadcasters this past season as far back as last Thanksgiving. That was the earliest I've heard them cross the "pond". I also say "past" because I've quit for the season. QRN levels... etc. I'll pick it up again this fall.

Also listened in on the 630 meter activity, copying the experimental beacons... digital and plain cw.

I use a homebrew HI-Q tuner covering 100-530khz with "traps" for the local BCB "pests", as well as a LPF with a cutoff of 530khz. The receiver is a Yaesu "frog" with a simple vertical antenna.

majoco

Stirrer
Fortunately with the gray line I'm almost 12 hours ahead of Europe so my dawn is their dusk. I don't know how you'll get along Ridgy, as your dawn (about 1300UTC?) is about midday in Europe. Perhaps your dusk would be better as then the source will be in the middle of the night. "DX Atlas" works a treat for spotting the gray line.

I have chronic cross-modulation from local broadcast band transmitters but I can get rid of them with my FRT7700 tuner which acts as a bandpass filter at the low frequencies. It peaks up the NDB's a treat too so I'm hoping to hear a carrier soon......:roll:

I'm only using my Kenwood R2000 at the moment, all the good stuff is in a lockup as I'm trying to sell this house!

On reflection.......
as your dawn (about 1300UTC?) is about midday in Europe
Of course it is, what a stupid thing for me to say! Isn't that what UTC is all about - the time at Greenwich Observatory (approximately!) Duh!

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
Never heard a thing from 0630 to0800z, not even a smell of a carrier. Usual crop of beacons, Norfolk and Lord Howe Islands and the usual NZ stations, Nothing from Port McQuarie in Aus on 395kHz but still getting the mystery station on 394khz with the "MA" ident. One day I'll find out who that is....

Status
Not open for further replies.