• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Any magic words to get a Chevy dealer to sell me the equivalent of an SSV Tahoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
Due to many radios (duh ;)), I need the dual high-current 12VDC circuits front and back (and several other options) that a 5W4 SSV has, and I don't think the 1FL with option 9L4 will cut it (I think it's not even half of the SSV's). I work with an emergency management agency, but I'd be buying this for personal use.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I think that question was brought up in one, or both, of the Tahoe installation threads. I think the answer basically was, some will, some won't. If you have official credentials, it helps. (Dealers aren't supposed to sell PPV/SSV Tahoes to civillians.)

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Personally, I want a 3/4-ton 4WD Suburban, to customize out. That includes having the OEM electrical system beefed up accordingly.

GrumpyGuard

You could try getting on your knees, grabbing the fleet managers leg while weeping Please, Please, Please, until he breaks down and sells you one.:roll:

michaelmikesj

What about buying one of the used ones from the county auction. One of the decomissioned Official use vehicles.

Last edited:

LtDoc

The best words I can think of are first, "I wanna talk to the sales manager." Then to the sales manager, "I want one, I have a checkbook in my pocket. You sell it to me or I'll go somewhere else." Better yet, make the request to the -owner- of the dealership! Works dang near every time.
- 'Doc

n5ims

Due to many radios (duh ;)), I need the dual high-current 12VDC circuits front and back (and several other options) that a 5W4 SSV has, and I don't think the 1FL with option 9L4 will cut it (I think it's not even half of the SSV's). I work with an emergency management agency, but I'd be buying this for personal use.

Quite often these "special" models simply are not available to the typical car dealer's sales person. The trick is to bypass them and ask for their "fleet sales" person. The "special" models will show up on their screens since they will be the ones handling the sales on them. Be aware that the dealer's "right to sell" those versions may be restricted, but you can then explain why you need the special features ("I think it would be cool do drive a police vehicle" wouldn't cut it, but as others have said a demo vehicle or even your need to handle power for several radios may justify your need).

Don't expect to get any special offers of rebates on them however. They generally expect to get full price for single unit quantities and only cut deals when sold in quantity. That doesn't mean you shouldn't ask, but don't expect to get them to cut you a deal.

LtDoc

Then again, the simplest method of having higher current available is to do it your self. You need a source for that higher current, a method of getting it to where it'll be used, and then some sort of receptacle to connect things to it.
Having just dealt with GM about that sort of thing (the powering of options, not that particular vehicle), I have concluded that I can do it at least as well and much cheaper than the price quoted to me.
[I want to add a second battery. Can't do that with that model car. Then why is a space provided for a second battery? But you have to use GM parts/service to do it. Okay, how much? $1600.00. (after getting up off of the floor) For what?? For running a larger cable for the higher voltages it would carry. Don't want higher voltage, just higher current capability! Okay, just add this special "battery eliminator" device, $1600.00, on special today. Do you have any idea what a battery eliminator actually is? ... silence. It's just another battery you Twit! ... and it went down hill from there, you don't wanna know. I didn't purchase the car from the local dealer. But surely that wouldn't have had anything to do with it, right?]
The finished cost was less than about 20% of the price quoted to me and that included the second battery (AGM). Go figure...
- 'Doc

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I forgot to mention that you do have to go through Fleet sales, and not all dealers have them. The best way I found was to Google or Duckduckgo fleet dealers. I have had many a Fleet sales person call me back multiple times to try and get the deal. I was offered a new Dodge Charger PD 6 cyln for $14k. Some of my vehicles came from Atlanta GA or Phoenix AZ, so don't be intimidated by having to have a vehicle transfered to a dealer near you. ( The last car a Dodge Charger Hemi PD went from Canada to Phoenix to Conn before I got it, it took 8 weeks, and I had to wait another 30 days for the title to catch up ) The local dealer may charger you a Dealer Conveyance Fee, the last time I paid it was $240.00. The main trick is to have all the info ahead of what you want and where it might be available ahead of time, the dealer I worked with didn't even have my car listed in his database. The dealer may not give you a break,(BTW my Charger listed for $34k+, I got it for less than $22k), but if you are serious and have all of your financing in order most sales people will not walk away from a done deal. I have had my share of dealers that said "No you can't do that" and when I got the car I made sure I went by to let them know their mistake for the next time.

N467RX

Panama DB Admin
Database Admin
I wonder if you can get them to sell you a 1FL, the SSV/PPV alternator/wiring and if they can do the swap.

If you work for an emergency management agency and it's your personal vehicle, but if you need the radios for the agency, maybe you can either get it through the agency or get your agency director/commander/person in charge to talk to the dealer or figure out what they need to sell it to you if you have a legitimate need for extra power (a letter, credentials, some sort of paperwork, etc).

bikinjohn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX8-51) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Why not buy a civilian one and run some 8ga yourself?

bikinjohn

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX8-51) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Why not buy a civilian one and run some 8ga yourself?

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
A lot of the options on the SSV/5W4 would be difficult to do myself, and I'm trying to avoid doing any of them ;) The DC is no big deal. But the 5W4 has extra grounding straps, access to the door-mount speakers, a pre-wired grill speaker harness, and several other options that I don't think I can get on a 1FL. There is a fleet dealer near my; I'm going to approach them this week with a checkbook in hand. Thanks for the ideas.

...R

grogan

Check out if you can custom order and see if there are any options that will suit you. Might have to wait for it. Then you get it as you want it color ,wheels ,interior etc

john9912

According to the information that I have for 2012, the cut off date for dealerships to order Tahoe PPV and SSV from GM was 3/15/2012. So you will have to find a dealership that already had them on order. What state are you in?

wm8s

Premium Subscriber
TX. I was unaware of that date; I might have been able to meet it. Oh well. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.