Any members have experience trunking a Radio Shack Pro 94?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndianaBoy

I can successfully program in the Control Channels for a Motorola Type II Smartnet.

However, I am unable to consistenly navigate my way in and program the lists of the Talkgroups.

With my model (Pro 94B), I should be able to put in 5 lists, with 10 items, per trunking system that I can program in (capacity of 20, one per bank). Somehow I stumbled my way in to getting them in for ONE trunking system. Afterwards, I was not able to get to a point where I could edit a list for any other trunking system for which I had programmed in the Control Channels.

The keystrokes outlined in my manual, and the easier to read manuals do not produce the results in my handset which they are supposed to.

If anyone who has successfully manually programmed Talkgroups Lists into a Radioshack Pro-94B could assist me, I would be extremely grateful.

I thought I had resolved this issue but I am really at wits end.

Thanks for looking.

Indy

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
In the target bank:
1. Press Manual
2. Using the numbered keys, key in the 5 digit Motorola ID
3. Press E
4. Press ^
5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 until all ID's are entered (up to 50 per bank @ 10 per scan list)

IndianaBoy

In the target bank:
1. Press Manual
2. Using the numbered keys, key in the 5 digit Motorola ID
3. Press E
4. Press ^
5. Repeat steps 2 - 4 until all ID's are entered (up to 50 per bank @ 10 per scan list)

Many thanks for your reply.

My difficulty lies in getting to the list in which to input the numbered keys. When I follow the above procedure, it thinks I am trying to input a frequency and returns 'error' as soon as I press the fifth key.

Assuming that the only bank I have active is the one in which I am trying to program this particular trunking system:

What sequence of keys do I need to press in order to get to the point where I can manually tab through the scan lists and program them in? Then only thing I cannot seem to do is get the latest bank to allow me to edit the scan lists.

Last edited:

IndianaBoy

Here are the directions I am following. The control frequencies have been programmed in.

1. In manual mode, press SCAN. Select the one and only bank that you want to program the IDs in and turn the rest of the banks off by pressing the corresponding numbers on the keypad. If you want to switch to another bank group, hold down A/B(HOLD) for about 2 seconds.
2. Press TRUNK to start trunking the bank.
3. Press PROG. A number showing the current ID list (1-5) appears at the top of the display, and the ID location in that list (1-10) appears in the display on the left. (Should be list 1, location 1). Pressing (H/S)PRIORITY will select the lists. Pressing or will select a different talk group ID location in the list.

The text in bold is what is not happening, that apparently should be happening. Does my scanner have to scan the frequencies I have input before it can accept Talkgroup IDs? I am trying to have it manually done before I go to St. Louis this weekend.

Am I doing something wrong? I have followed these directions, and those in the manual precisely.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
"I can successfully program in the Control Channels for a Motorola Type II Smartnet."

The above is from your first post and you will need all frequencies for the system programmed, not just the control channels.

If my procedures in the other post do not work, you are not set up for trunking. To get into Trunk Programming, (in the target bank) press PGM then TRUNK. Using the UP/DOWN buttons, EDIT: and Select Motorola II 800
1. using the numbered keys and the period, enter the first frequency.
2. press E
3. press the ^ key
4. repeat step 1 - 3 until all freqs are entered.

Press Scan then follow my steps 1 through 5 in the first post.

Last edited:

IndianaBoy

I should have been more careful about my words. I entered all the frequencies listed in the database, not just the control frequencies in red. My mistake.

Do you have a Pro 94? What specific keystrokes do you press to get from a scanning trunking status to being able to type in a list?

Thank you again for your patience and assistance.

Edit: http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=629

The bank is set up as E2 - 800. It doesn't say Motorola. I was in trunking mode when I entered all the frequencies :

856.43750 856.46250 856.48750 856.71250 856.73750 857.43750* 857.46250 857.48750 857.71250
858.43750* 858.46250 858.48750 858.71250 859.43750* 859.46250 859.48750 859.71250 860.43750*
860.46250 860.48750 860.71250

Now I am unable to get the Lists 'open' to input this: (specifically the 5 digit numbers, of course)

57360 e01 A Districts 1 & 2
57392 e03 A District 3
57424 e05 A Districts 4 & 5
57456 e07 A Districts 6 & 8
57488 e09 A District 7
57520 e0b A District 9
57552 e0d A SODD (Special Operations Deployment Division)
57584 e0f A B.O.I. (Bureau of Investigation - Discontinued)
57712 e17 A Info A
57744 e19 A Info B (Discontinued)

Last edited:

IndianaBoy

Is it necessary for me to know the data channel in order to input talkgroups IDs?

I am not in the location of the network I am planning to listen to, I am trying to set it up before I get there.

Programming ID’s
1. Press SCAN
2. Press ^ button (----- should be on the display)

When I press the up arrow button at this point, nothing happens.

IndianaBoy

I programmed the trunked police band at the University in town in another bank, and it works fine.

I am doing everything the same, but I cannot for the life of my get the display to say Search in the lower right corner, and display the List for me to navigate through them in this new bank. I can do it successfully in bank 2, where i have the other system.

Is there a setting which could cause this symptom?

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
IndianaBoy said:
Is it necessary for me to know the data channel in order to input talkgroups IDs?
Could be, I use software so it may force the system to load. I've scanned your system with my 2052, but used ScanControl software to set it up.

Programming ID’s
1. Press SCAN
2. Press ^ button (----- should be on the display)

When I press the up arrow button at this point, nothing happens.
You can't be in trunking mode with this condition, could be the scanner needs to hear the CC to go into trunking. What appears on the display when you press trunk?

BTW, I have the 94 manual, and it agrees with my 2052 manual.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
[LEFT said:
IndianaBoy[/LEFT]]I programmed the trunked police band at the University in town in another bank, and it works fine.

I am doing everything the same, but I cannot for the life of my get the display to say Search in the lower right corner, and display the List for me to navigate through them in this new bank. I can do it successfully in bank 2, where i have the other system.

Is there a setting which could cause this symptom?
If you have another system programmed the same, I don't know what to say. Have you tried setting St Louis in a fresh bank?

IndianaBoy

I have re-input the 21 St. Louis freq, but I cleared them from bank 5 and put them back in bank 5.

I am nearing just trying it over again, but I really don't think I am doing anything wrong.

THis is new technology to me. What is the likelihood of a bug/glitch in my receiver? Probably highly unlikely.

Last edited:

IndianaBoy

The first of the St. Louis Freqs

manual5.jpg

And the last:

manual_5.jpg

and as it scans through them... doing nothing

scanning5.jpg

Now in bank 2, another system (nearby in location to me) behaves like this

It toggles from this :
This picture should show 'TRUNK' above Hyper. I stopped trunking to get the shot.
bank2_toggle.jpg

to this

idscan_BANK2.jpg

at which point i can press program and get here

bank2_list.jpg

And that is where I think I need to be on bank 5 in order in input the Talkgroup IDs for bank 5.

Last edited:

IndianaBoy

fmon said:
I think a bug would be scanner wide, ie all banks.

Thank you much for all your help sir.

I would appreciate any additional comments if my pictures were of any value at all in this matter.

I am heading out for some exercise, so I will be gone for an hour or so.

Thanks again,

I am very appreciative of your assistance.

Talk to you all soon.

Greg

clbarker

I don't know if this will help at all, but if you are not in the area where the control channel is, you probably wont be able to get to the ID section for very long to program. I always have a problem with pre programming my PRO-94 when I travel, or program a new system unless I am picking up the control channel. I'm not quite sure why, but it just happens that way every time. Also, in the picture it looks like you are where you need to be, just hit PROG when you see that last screen, and instead of hitting the E key, the /\ key, I usually punch the E key, then hit PROG after each TG. I hope this helps, sorry if it was just completly random and helped you in no way, shape or form. haha :)

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Apparently the scanner needs to have a control channel to lock onto to get in the trunked mode.

You will need a programming cable to do the following.

From the very bottom of this page, download and install ScanCat Lite Plus Demo.

With scanner turned on and cable plugged in,
Run the program and click on Select Radio
Select Pro95B and click Auto Configure (when completed, click Accept) then exit the dialog by clicking the X.
Click Program Radio
When program settles down, click on Load/Read Radio menu and select Read Frequencies from Radio to Selected Bank. Wait for completion.
Review under the Trunk column for a check mark in red.
Do the same for your bank in your area.

You can read both freqs and ID's from scanner to software in this demo mode, but you can only load from bank 1 to scanner with demo. But, you may be able to fool the scanner by programming ( typing in) the ID's then sending all (freqs and id's) to bank 1.

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
IndianaBoy said:
Thank you much for all your help sir.

I would appreciate any additional comments if my pictures were of any value at all in this matter.

I am heading out for some exercise, so I will be gone for an hour or so.

Thanks again,

I am very appreciative of your assistance.

Talk to you all soon.

Greg
Yes, the pictures helped and you really done a great job wth them, but my 2052 display is slightly different. clbarker's comment may be more useful regarding pressing PGM.

I'm not a big fan of ScanCat lite, but it may be the only software available for your scanner. My copy is a demo also, so it is worthless for use otherwise but I keep a copy to help others. If you find it to work (fill bank 1 correctly), you may want to spend the 30 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.