Any Mountaineers need a crispy PSR-500 for cannibalizing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lebrunmn

Retired... Get off my lawn!
Premium Subscriber
We had some pretty wild thunderstorms on Sat, and I lost my veteran PSR-500 to a power surge. We took a nearby lightening strike, and the resulting power surge fried the wall wart and power circuit to the scanner. Sadly, it was my only scanner without surge/static protection--plugged directly into the wall by my recliner, naturally. And yes, I should've known better.

So if any WV folks still use a PSR-500--for whatever time there may be before the big SIRN TDMA switch takes place in your area--my loss is your gain. Parts are hard to come by on these old units, and I'm happy to mail you the old girl for your parts picking pleasure--free of charge. Call me sentimental, but it seemed a sacrilege to just toss that faithful old scanner into the garbage can when I know someone out there may need a part to keep their own scanner going.

Besides, this is one less item that I'll have to take to our local landfill, where every week, a guy in a pick up truck next to mine invariably says: "Hey, are you throwing that out?"

DomW

All right, I'll bite. Do you think an Electronic Tech could raise it from the crispy dead? I still have my PSR-500 for when I travel. Sorry I'm not a Mountaineer, was planning to retire near Slanesville but ended up just over the line in Ohio.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Hey, just knowing where Slanesville is gets you Mountaineer props... I actually live 5 mins from Slanesville General Store.

You might be able to revive it--you can see where the power circuits got scorched if you take the case off. At the very least you'll have four battery trays, a belt clip, and a battery door that may come it handy for your other scanner. Plus some of those items have significant value on the eBay parts market.

If you PM me your address, I'll send it to you via USPS.

Best of luck to you!

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
If @DomW doesn't want it I'm definitely interested. Could use some spare parts. Happy to pay for the shipping and give you a fair price for it. Not a Mountaineer but a southern neighbor in NC.

Also... Sorry for your loss. I know the pain.

DomW

If @DomW doesn't want it I'm definitely interested.
Ok, I'll pass. Sounds cmjonesinc can use it more than I would. General Store? Or do you mean "The Mall"? I remember when they added the addition. Before, you got a soda in front, go past the ice cream freezer, through the Hardware section and come out in the Pizza Parlor. They had two pumps between the front door and the road, and there was a TV shop across the road????. I road my motorcycle a lot on weekends out there. That was a while ago though.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
OK, Dom--I'll pass it over to cmjonesinc.

Everything here is still pretty much as you remember it... Don's TV is still across the road from the Slanesville store, except these days they're pushing Satellite Internet. It's still a good place to get a good piece of coax for an outside scanner antenna without having to go into Virginia.

Take care.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
If @DomW doesn't want it I'm definitely interested. Could use some spare parts. Happy to pay for the shipping and give you a fair price for it. Not a Mountaineer but a southern neighbor in NC.

OK, cmjonesinc, you're up. If you PM me your address, I'll send it to you via USPS. I can't accept any money--even for shipping--since I didn't put it in the classifieds section, but that's really the way I want it. I wouldn't feel right taking money for a scanner that's fried, but I appreciate the offer.

mancow

Database Admin
Dang, wish I had seen this earlier. I have on that seems to work normally other than no recieve.

lebrunmn

Premium Subscriber
Dang, wish I had seen this earlier. I have on that seems to work normally other than no receive.
Sorry, I just packaged it up for cmjonesinc... Best of luck on the remote head project--sounds like things are starting to take off on that front. Great work you and Robert are doing for the hobby! Thanks!

mancow

Database Admin
Sorry, I just packaged it up for cmjonesinc... Best of luck on the remote head project--sounds like things are starting to take off on that front. Great work you and Robert are doing for the hobby! Thanks!
Thank you.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
@mancow I wanted it for the cosmetic parts. If you want the board out of it for parts I can send it your way once I get it.

cmjonesinc

Premium Subscriber
Thanks again lebrumn. Mancow I'll pm you when I get it apart and get your shipping info.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Damm. I need one of these for a front display glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.