Any MW Dxers out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndyRick

I'm starting MW DXing after a long absence. Currently, I'm using an old DX-160 with a 60 ft longwire and it's working pretty darn well. The game has changed since the last time I did this (probably before some of you were born!!) and all the syndicated stations makes it a bit rougher. But I'm having a ball, and that's what really counts. Got a few new QSL's in the mail recently, nothing really rare, but it's always a treat to open the mailbox and find one.

Just curious who else on here might be MW Dxing?

73 de N9GSU

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Hi Rick,

Welcome back to the MW dxing game. I have dabbled in it off and on for several years. I have a Drake R8A with a Par EF-SWL antenna at the moment. I have used different loop antennas for MW in the past, namely the Kiwa loop and the Quantum loop. Both work well for nulling out stations. The Quantum is the only one of the two still being produced. I also have done some FM band dxing, which I find fascinating. My best DX there has been Cuba from here in Virginia. FM dxing is predominantly a summer hobby when sporadic-E comes into play. Good luck and I'm sure you will find some others on here doing the MW thing.....Alan

IndyRick

I did some FM dxing this summer, and it was quite interesting...now that winter's settling in, that'll take a back seat to MW. :)

KT4HX

Premium Subscriber
Thats the good thing about doing both MW and FM dxing. One is more of a summer thing and the other is more of a winter thing. Whereas SW is more of a year round thing, with some variations of course. Nothing is absolute except death (notice I didn't say taxes is an absolute as some don't even pay those! :wink:).

k9rzz

I DX the AM BCB. I just love the low rumble sound of a graveyard channel, I find it very relaxing. My current goals are to hear some Euro stations on medium wave which are pretty hard to hear here in the midwest, but not impossible. I never chased the QSL cards very hard although I do have one from PJB Bonaire when they were commonly heard on 800khz years ago.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
There are 2 North American clubs devoted to MW DX, and very well respected worldwide; the National Radio Club and the International Radio Club of America. Both links can be found here;

SWL Broadcast - The RadioReference Wiki

If you heavily into this game, belonging to one or both is a must.

73 Mike

bluefox2163

mw

on my sattelitt 750 iheard atlanta georgia station from here in central ct , thats the farthest igot so far,i here a lot of canadian french stations at night ,but cant identify em! thanks!

a29zuk

Back in the 70's, I used a DX-160 for broadcast band DX too. Today I use a Palstar R30CC with a 50' antenna and also a Collins R390 out in the garage. Just this morning I received two new stations from Manitoba from here in southest Michigan.

Good Luck and Happy DXing,
Jim P.

Status
Not open for further replies.