Any new scanners in the making?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Ouch, zzdiesel but... just showing some levity with frustration from those who are very familiar with the industry. I understand your reaction.

I share it... Bob.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have a 3rd cousin, twice-removed who has a friend who's plumber knows a guy that used be a Uniden janitor's bail bondsman who says they're working on computator that will scan McDonalds' drive-thru frequencies and calculate the total bill before the customer gets to the take-out window.

Last edited:

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Can you please cite an official company announcement, or is this just more pointless speculation?

Thanks in advance. (y)
I think this was the announcement from Unification regarding beta testing of firmware that has some scanner features. At least that's what I thought it was.

Hit_Factor

I think this was the announcement from Unification regarding beta testing of firmware that has some scanner features. At least that's what I thought it was.
There is a comment in a thread about a conversation with a Unication Rep. But the thread is long and about something else related to Unication.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
OK, so pure speculation then. Got it! (y)
No no, please doc... say it ain't true, hey we have to hold on to some kind of hope. It Is 2020 after all.

I think that means if unication was ever to come out with a scanner comparable to the others it would be in 2021. If any company was going to do it it's going to be them, not Whistler certainly... of course... and it's not Uniden, they've got their contenders.

This is not speculation, Just my $0.42 counting inflation.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unication is beta testing some G-series pager firmware that includes some scanner-type features, but it's a long way from being usable as a general-purpose scanner. Perhaps it's an indication they intend to enter the scanner market, and perhaps not. Only corporate knows.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Wouldn't be surprised if a Chinese SDR handheld scanner with a name I've of never heard of appeared next.
If there was a sizable market for scanners internationally, I might agree. They are a niche market product with (I suspect) a declining demand in the U.S. and are illegal to have/use in a fair number of countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.