Any new Uniden Scanners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb9hgi

Feed Provider
Well will Uniden be putting out any new scanners or is this SDS200 and sds100 the last?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Well will Uniden be putting out any new scanners or is this SDS200 and sds100 the last?
Uniden is the only one that would know that, and they have made no announcements.

Many threads already asking that.

here’s the latest one:

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I hope they name it something different. It's probably my industrial background but whenever I hear "SDS" I immediately think "Safety Data Sheets" or the type of drill bits my Bosch hammer drill uses
Being in college in the late 60's, SDS brings to mind the Students for a Democratic Society, a student activist organization.

MStep

Even if they come out with something new in 2022, you'll still need to wait another 3-4 years for all the bugs to be worked out. And even then...

I agree. Unless you're primed for an adventure, it's usually best to wait 6-12 months for debugging. The SDS series has been out for 2+ years. and has been mentioned in several posts, they are still working on firmware to fix existing bugs before further development. While 3-4 years at first seems an unreasonable time to wait, it is not out of the realm of possibility that it could take that long.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I remember when a poster just made up the names trx100 and trx200 as a pipe dream for a simulcast capable scanner for the other brand, they never made up the names themselves, a poster did, and they went with it, why not, LOL.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Being in college in the late 60's, SDS brings to mind the Students for a Democratic Society, a student activist organization.

LOL, I used to hang out with a SDS member in Big Spring, Texas. His father was the editor of the local paper. Reportedly, there was an active SDS chapter in Tulsa, believe it or not. I have a You Tube, "Wake Up America" if you like. I seriously doubt you are going to find someone in RR Forums who even knows what SDS means, specific to that point in time. Were you a "radical?" LOL. "Yippie." Having said that, would you like to start a movement, "Steal This Police Scanner." You should get this riddle.

I would imagine the focus of Uniden would involve catching things up. I shot my 436HP to them last week. I wish they would replace the SDS 100 with a stripped down version, without the "eye candy" keyboard. Furthermore, I will never ever buy another scanner with a special battery. I want AA battery capability.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
LOL, I used to hang out with a SDS member in Big Spring, Texas. His father was the editor of the local paper. Reportedly, there was an active SDS chapter in Tulsa, believe it or not. I have a You Tube, "Wake Up America" if you like. I seriously doubt you are going to find someone in RR Forums who even knows what SDS means, specific to that point in time. Were you a "radical?" LOL. "Yippie." Having said that, would you like to start a movement, "Steal This Police Scanner." You should get this riddle.

I would imagine the focus of Uniden would involve catching things up. I shot my 436HP to them last week. I wish they would replace the SDS 100 with a stripped down version, without the "eye candy" keyboard. Furthermore, I will never ever buy another scanner with a special battery. I want AA battery capability.
Yes, unfortunately as has been the subject of many threads the SDS radios cannot be supported by AA batteries, you would need way too many of them and they wouldn't last very long at all.

I was in high school in the late 60s and I certainly think of one thing when I hear SDS. Although I had long hair, wire-rimmed glasses and a beard when I was young I was a member of the silent majority as I am today and wouldn't go near the SDS any more than I would today :LOL:

But yes, when I hear that name it's the first thing that comes to mind.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I learned with my PSR 500 that flashy lights and such eat battery storage (no technical corrections please). In fact, you could use a "stealth" mode to save the battery life. I don't know if the SDS decoding requires that much energy or the flashy lights and busy screen. I will keep my 436HP with my AA's, with Eneloops.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Everybody here knows the real answer to the OP's query is, Who knows?" That was why it was so easy to get off the original topic in favor of wish lists and scanner shortcomings.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Everybody here knows the real answer to the OP's query is, Who knows?" That was why it was so easy to get off the original topic in favor of wish lists and scanner shortcomings.
It's certainly true that nobody knows... We are in the tavern so there's a little latitude with the topic and levity. Wish lists and shortcomings seem to come up in many SDS discussions, it's a natural progression even though we all like our SDS radios.

Given the evidence and what has happened or should I say NOT happened since Paul's passing is a pretty predictable tell. You have to wonder, I don't think the capability is there to make a more advanced model other than fixing the standing issues and problems that remain unaddressed. That's just being reality-based.

Maybe a lesser radio, with less capabilities could pop up, who knows? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.