R30 Any news regarding DMR support for R30/R8600?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumcajs_tr

Hello, still waiting with the purchase of R30 because of lack of DMR support. Is there any new info (positive or negative) regarding DMR support? I still use my Uniden BCD436HP but thinking about switching to R30 if it has DMR.
Thanks for any info.

prcguy

Doesn't look like Icom has any plans to include DMR in anything so if your R30 purchase is riding on that, get something else.

Hello, still waiting with the purchase of R30 because of lack of DMR support. Is there any new info (positive or negative) regarding DMR support? I still use my Uniden BCD436HP but thinking about switching to R30 if it has DMR.
Thanks for any info.

rumcajs_tr

The problem is that the only other portable DMR capable communications receiver is AOR AR-DV10, which is a total fail (not only because frequency drift).
I will stick with the BCD436HP for a while.

Last edited:

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
The problem is that the only other portable DMR capable communications receiver is AOR AR-DV10, which is a total fail (not only because frequency drift).
I will stick with the BCD436HP for a while.

I'm not certain that I'm reading your statement correctly, but the AOR AR-DV10 is not "the only other DMR capable communications receiver". Uniden's SDS100, SDS200, BCD436HP, and BCD325P2 can all receive DMR, as can Whistler's TRX-1 and TRX-2. They're "scanners," which might not be considered "communications receivers," if that's what you mean.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
I bit the bullet and picked up a DV10. I'm really happy with mine, no frequency drift issues with my unit. Maybe I just got lucky, such a shame others are having/had issues with theirs. Only complaint I have with the DMR data display is it only shows color code info on the screen (No talkgroup or slot) Other than that it decodes like a champ

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
I'm not certain that I'm reading your statement correctly, but the AOR AR-DV10 is not "the only other DMR capable communications receiver". Uniden's SDS100, SDS200, BCD436HP, and BCD325P2 can all receive DMR, as can Whistler's TRX-1 and TRX-2. They're "scanners," which might not be considered "communications receivers," if that's what you mean.

Yep, "Scanners" and "Communications Receivers" are the difference in many people's eyes.
Most Comms Receivers today do perform basic scanning functions so this argument could probably be challanged for some of todays modern receivers.

I think if you were to ask AOR's president, he would say that AOR does NOT sell Scanners! I'm pretty sure I've seen that statement quoted here before.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I wouldn't let the lack of DMR nullify an R8600 purchase. I would safely say if you buy it you will come to the conclusion that it is one of the best radios you own. But I do understand your decision if DMR is a must for you, and if it is growing in popularity there as much as it has here. It is a must-have for my scanners, but I don't consider my Icom R8600 a 'scanner', per se. The R8600 is in a class all it's own...

JD
kf4anc

rumcajs_tr

Yes, there is a big difference between scanner and comm receiver (freq. range, modes, receiver functions, etc.).
And I consider R8600 to be the best comm receiver made today. I might replace my R8500 some day. The same is with the handheld version - R30 ... Very good comm receiver. But without DMR, which shall not be supported by Icom, you have to carry additional receiver/scanner with you, which is not a best solution.
Regarding DV-10, it may work well as a handheld receiver on the supplied antenna, however don't connect it to an external high gain antenna or the receiver will go crazy. There is a page with receiver/scanner reviews in Czech language, which can be easily read using google translate, if you are interested - have a look here:
There are many othere honest rceiver/scanner reviews.

rumcajs_tr

One more comment to my previous post - I can live without DMR support in R8600 as this is an excelent desktop comm receiver intended to be used at your shack - so you can always connect PC or external decoder (such as ARD300) to decode other digital modes.
But for R30 being a portable receiver - you usualy don't cary PC along in your pocket, so here the lack od DMR is a real problem at least for me.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Regarding DV-10, it may work well as a handheld receiver on the supplied antenna, however don't connect it to an external high gain antenna or the receiver will go crazy.
Well I beg to differ about the supplied antenna, it's cut for air band and has dismal rx on just about everything else. Get yourself a nice telescopic BNC, I've had great success with the Diamond RH-789 and Comet W100RX. I can confirm it has the tendency to overload if I connect my roof antennas to it, especially since I'm in a high RF area

woodpecker

I bit the bullet and picked up a DV10. I'm really happy with mine, no frequency drift issues with my unit. Maybe I just got lucky, such a shame others are having/had issues with theirs. Only complaint I have with the DMR data display is it only shows color code info on the screen (No talkgroup or slot) Other than that it decodes like a champ

They all drift, if you think it doesn't drift you haven't checked it properly, try it on WWV. You won't notice the drift if you listen to an S9+ digital signal from a hotspot which is all some folk seem to do!

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
They all drift, if you think it doesn't drift you haven't checked it properly, try it on WWV. You won't notice the drift if you listen to an S9+ digital signal from a hotspot which is all some folk seem to do!
No need to try and make mine drift. It brings in what I need it to, right on the desired frequency, even way below S9 and that's all that matters

Status
Not open for further replies.