Any P25RX owners in Colorado?

Status
Not open for further replies.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber

Seriously thinking of getting one of these to monitor our Simulcast in Colo Spgs.

Any fellow Coloradoans have one of these? Results? Thoughts?

Thank you for your input.

Best,
Tim
KC5RYY

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your input. I am interested in using as a base unit only. I agree that the price is very attractive. I have been following the main post regarding these units and curious if anyone in CO actually has tested it out.

boy7777777777

I have one and have used it on several different simulcast systems in different states. It will work very well on Colorado’s 800mhz state wide system. I’ve tested it on p1 and p2 simulcast systems and I have no complaints. I haven’t got a chance to test it on any vhf trunked systems. The user interface is still being developed. The trunked system part functions better than a scanner in my opinion. The developer just added the ability to monitor a Talkgroup not matter what other Talkgroup is on the air. Scanner doesn’t do that. Example.....if Talkgroup 100 is in use and you have Talkgroup 200 priority set to a lower number than 200 Talkgroup 100 will interrupt 200 no matter what. There isn’t a brief transmission interrupt every few seconds like a scanner has when priority mode is enabled. It’s not quite the same as a scanner but in my opinion it receives by far better than a scanner. It will receive signals clearly down to around -118 dbm. For the money you can’t beat it.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for your input. Appreciate it. I had a nice email exchange with Todd today and am on the waiting list for the next batch. So far I have experimented with the SDS 100 and SDS 200 along with a G4. The G4 has been the best so far and am looking forward to testing out the P25RX. Due to my location in proximity to the designated simulcast tower, it has always been difficult to hit that specific tower even before it went to simulcast. A lot of the units also had trouble with it so they reinstated a couple of other towers to aid in reception. I had a friend who helped design and maintain the State DTRS but unfortunately he passed away a couple years ago and I lost my inside connection. Thank you again!

Moosemedic

Will this import systems? I've used FreeScan and the RR database on most of my Uniden hardware, and if it'll import systems that easily > I'm all in !

boy7777777777

It will not. It will only import systems that are in its database as of now. There isn’t a way to update the database like you can with scanners. It’s still an awesome receiver though.

icemantim8

Premium Subscriber
So I bit the bullet and bought one :) Got it last Monday! All I can say is that for $259.00 this dude is super impressive. I'm picking up the Simulcast better and better every day with a tweak here and a tweak there. The designer of this receiver is super responsive to comments and suggestions and well it's certainly refreshing. It also does marvelous on Ft. Carson's UHF P25 system. No it's not a G5 or an SDS but it's less than half the price and does a fantastic job. Check it out! It's super fun to experiment with. I highly recommend it.

KSPILOT536

Premium Subscriber
So I bit the bullet and bought one :) Got it last Monday! All I can say is that for $259.00 this dude is super impressive. I'm picking up the Simulcast better and better every day with a tweak here and a tweak there. The designer of this receiver is super responsive to comments and suggestions and well it's certainly refreshing. It also does marvelous on Ft. Carson's UHF P25 system. No it's not a G5 or an SDS but it's less than half the price and does a fantastic job. Check it out! It's super fun to experiment with. I highly recommend it.
How do you add the police,sheriff,HP frequencies and talk groups?

Status
Not open for further replies.